Hiring process

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Merevaik, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Merevaik

Merevaik Rookie

Jul 3, 2015

Hello!

I work for a private school. This year I've been interviewed for a public school position. I even did demo lesson and everything seemed to be fine. The team said that they'll call me and let me know about their decision. However, there's been 4 weeks already and still nothing. :(

What is the hiring process in public schools? Is it typical that someone from school calls back? How long it usually takes from the interview to any response?

Thank you all :)

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 3, 2015

When I interviewed I generally heard back within two weeks. It seems likely that you did not get this job, and they dropped the ball on notifying you. Sorry. You could contact them to be sure, because it's possible the funding is being verified. When a school has budget concerns, hiring of elective teachers might be put on hold while the money gets sorted out.

4. Merevaik

Merevaik Rookie

Jul 3, 2015

Thank you.

Could you please tell me about the process in general? What usually happens after the interview? If the school decides to offer a job - how they do it?

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2015

The sad truth is that there are no true norms. Some districts interview as the applications come in, which means you may not know for 3 weeks or more, others state until filled, meaning that as soon as they have "the one" the search is over. Honestly, anything over a week, IMO, is indicative of the job going to someone else. FYI, most districts no longer send rejection letters or emails. The numbers that they are wading through, coupled with the time of year when everything seems to be going on just overwhelms them. Although nice to know from the applicant's POV, I understand why, and I don't take it personally. I have been called the next day when the offer is on the table, since they generally want to close, but there may be reasons for it taking longer, especially if they have to wait for the advertised ad to expire. If you contact and get a rejection, if you can talk about it free of emotion, some admin will critique and give feedback, but not all. Best of luck!

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2015

You could e-mail the principal to verify, but after a week or so of not hearing anything when I was interviewing, I assumed I did not get the job. I did two interviews where the school didn't contact me to tell me I wasn't chosen. IMO, this is incredibly rude and not the type of people I want to work for anyway! I do not buy the excuse that admins are too busy. It takes 1 minute to send a group generic e-mail to people you interviewed and say that the position has been filled. If they can't even do that, then they need to at least say something like, "If you haven't heard by next Tuesday at 5 pm, the position has been filled." My admin always makes sure to explain the hiring timeline at the end of interviews and let candidates know they will be notified either way. In the future, if they don't say anything about the process, that's a completely valid question to ask at the end of your interviews. There is no "general process" because every school is different. Some do demo lessons and 2nd interviews, some do only one, some contact references prior to interviewing so offers can be made right away and some wait until they have their top candidate in mind. At my current school my admin weeds out potential candidates through phone screeners and then we interview the top 5 or so. We don't do demo lessons and we usually make the decision the same day as interviews. If we like someone, my admins start calling their references right after the interview (we schedule blocks of time between candidates) and unless we're waiting on references we make the offer that same day. Other schools might have long processes that take weeks. You'll just have to ask at each interview what the process is.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 3, 2015

One public school I interviewed at called me on my drive home from the interview to offer me the job.
    4 weeks is a long time BUT you never know.. they might offer it to someone else who turns it down and you might be their 2nd choice (not a bad thing), which might explain the long wait..
    I would keep applying to other schools if you really want public school & you don't hear from this one

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 3, 2015

My district (the HR dept) notifies applicants within 2 weeks of their interview.

In my district, if you haven't heard back after the 2nd week, the odds are that you didn't get the position.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2015

4 weeks is a bit too long. If they wanted you, you'd most likely know by now.

10. physteach

physteach Companion

Jul 3, 2015

I once interviewed for a job that they KNEW would end up funded, but that wasn't formally approved until the July board meeting, so there were 3 months in between by interview/demo and being offered the job. I'd already accepted another position by then, but ended up tutoring the students I would have had because they'd had to go so far down the interviewee list the hire was weak.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 3, 2015

Does this district post their board minutes? My guess would be that they've already hired someone since it has been a month. I've always been called within hours of the interview unless the job was offered during the interview.

12. Merevaik

Merevaik Rookie

Jul 3, 2015

Thank you all :)

The principal told me that the position I've been interviewed for is new. They decided to broaden one of their departments. So I hoped that maybe it's going to take longer because of that. But probably you're right, I missed it.