Hiring process

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Wrathgara, May 8, 2013.

1. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 8, 2013

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me about the hiring process ? I've been observed, interviewed, took a tour at the school with a follow up interview with clarifying interview questions.
    I'm in Colorado and don't know how it works. Will HR call? When do references get checked?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback or info . If this question had been posed before I apologize. If you've answered this question before and don't want to answer again I understand but I'm not looking for mean ppl complaining about it. Thanks!!

I'm also looking for stories about how you got hired :)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 8, 2013

It can honestly vary from school to school. I've had 4 interviews this year- 1 called my references before my interview, another I toured and I interviewed with the superintendent, and they still hadn't contacted my references.
    It can take a day to weeks before you hear anything- it truly depends on the school.

4. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 8, 2013

Thank you , I've only applied to one district . I appreciate the feedback and sharing your experience so far.. Wishing you mountains of luck !!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 9, 2013

This is how I got hired:
    - panel interview, with P, school psychologist and another person from district
    - they told me they were making the decision that week and once they're done HR will take over
    - HR called my references
    - HR called me to offer job
    - went in to sing pre-employment paperwork, get fingerprinted and get background checked
    - once background check cleared, they called to go in to sign the contract, I was officially hired.

I didn't talk to my P until after all of that. Actually I contacted her right before I moved here (almost 6 hours away) and that was the second time we ever talked.

As far as I know in some districts it won't be HR but the P or someone from the actual school who will call you to offoer the job.

In your situation, if there are no more interviews, if you're the one they seleced, they'll probably calling your references. Did they give you a timeframe?

6. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 9, 2013

Like others have said, I think it varies from school to school. For my last district, the P called me in for an interview and I interviewed with just him. He interviewed me, gave me a tour of the school, and then offered me the job on the spot! For my current district, I had a quick 10 minute screening interview with 2 administrators at the Board Office. I was told from there that we would have a second round of interviews with building principals. However, the Board office called me about a week and half later and offered me the position without having to interview with the P.

I have had other interviews that were much different. Last summer, I had a school do a quick 10 minute phone interview and then invite me for an in person interview with a panel. After the interview, they called my references, so I thought I had the job. After calling my references, they had me come in for a demo lesson and I ended up not getting the job. It has varied for me a lot.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 9, 2013

It does vary a lot. I had an interview with my principal and the head of student services for the district. The person I was replacing gave me tips on what to say in the interview, I felt like I did well. It was also the same school where I student-taught, and I happen to know they had to interview three people, but they deliberately picked two people that they didn't think would be likely to show for the interview. I was the only one to show, and my principal was happy to have me.

8. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 9, 2013

THIS is exactly what I needed / wanted thank you so much !!!

9. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 9, 2013

Wow, I thought after he tour she would hire me on the spot but she had a family emergency she had to attend to . She said she would let me know sooner than later.
    Thanks for taking the time to share, you're right it does depend on the district however I guess in looking for what the commonalities are :)

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 9, 2013

I'm in CO also...if you message me the name of the district I might know more, depending on what area you're in.

11. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 13, 2013

update

School #1: principal came to observe-->interview--->tour-->mini interview = waiting

School #2: interview----> called my references= waiting

School # 3: interview=waiting

School#4: interview---> call of death ;)

I heard some districts will wait until you have gone to all the interviews before they will extend two offers. Anyone else hear something like this?
    Someone from the hiring committee said that they know when a candidate has an interview with an other school from the district.