Hiring process changes?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, Mar 10, 2012.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2012

I am currently in my 5th year teaching in North Carolina. I applied out of state after looking unsuccessfully for two years in Michigan. I desperately want to relocate back to Michigan this summer (family issues). My principal is completely understanding and aware that I will be looking.

Now, my question is, how has the hiring process changed in the last 5 years? Down here, it is very loose. You send your resume directly to the principal of the school with the opening, and they don't even have an actual application (crazy, I know!) The majority of the districts in my home area of Michigan have an online consortium, and you apply through that. Is it acceptable to also mail (or e-mail) resumes out to administration? If so, who? Principals or someone higher up? Is is a positive thing to send them out, or do they view it as a nuisance?

I did interview at the district I graduated from and subbed for 6 years ago. I landed that through my college's job fair. I can't attend the job fair because it conflicts with a big event at my school the same day (my current boss is very supportive and would let me have the time off if it fell on a different week). All six of the elementary principals interviewed me in a panel. It is quite formal. I assume the other area districts all have similar policies, but I really don't know.

I am pretty limited in where I can apply. I need it to be within driving distance (an hour) of my mom's house. I own my own home down here in North Carolina, and I do not think it will be very easy for me to sell it right now. So, I will have to live with my parents because I will still be paying a mortgage down here.

Also, does anyone know of any other job markets I could get into with my elementary education degree? My education major is math. I'm not sure if that would help me or not. I am more focused on getting back 'home' and at this point I am open to any job that will keep me in my current salary range.

3. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Mar 10, 2012

I am from MI and looked there the past 2 years, until I finally got an out of state offer as well. Most districts of any size use the Appli-Track system, which says not to contact districts. However, I heard from a few teachers in Appli-Track districts that their Principals liked it when people called or dropped stuff off because it showed initiative. However, I have also heard of schools throwing away things that candidates send, so I don't think there's a clear cut answer. If you have inside knowledge on districts and can find out what their preferences are, that would probably be best. If not, I say go for it and hope that your persistence and initiative pays off.

The interviews that I had were formal, usually with a panel of admins and teachers. It might be helpful to do a little research on the common core standards that are coming next year, as well as other changes that have happened in education and budgets, etc etc since you left. I had several district applications that asked me to talk about my opinion on a current topic in education.

Also, I'm not sure what school you graduated from, but many of the public universities have job fairs throughout the spring (education and otherwise), and anyone can attend, so that might be an option as well.

Good luck!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2012

If you have a math education degree, how hard would it be to transfer it to secondary math? That should open a number of doors.