hiring in the middle of the year -- possible/likely?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by idiotprogrammer, Aug 28, 2015.

1. idiotprogrammer

idiotprogrammer Rookie

Aug 28, 2015

Hi, there,

Last year (my first year of teaching), my contract was nonrenewed.

Unfortunately I was really late getting my job applications in the summer (like the 2nd or 3rd week of August!).

A primary cause of this delay was enhancing my job skills and branching out into another subject area -- in retrospect doing that required a lot of time and imposed delays.

My instructional skills are probably better than they were at the beginning of the summer. Does anyone have any thoughts about how likely it is to be hired through the school year?

I'm assuming that if I don't get hired by middle of September, it's probably not going to happen, with a slight uptick in hiring at the end of the first semester. Honestly I'm resigned to possibly having to stay out of teaching for a year -- and the year out of teaching won't necessarily be a bad thing -- I certainly can use the time to increase my knowledge of pedagogy and classroom management).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Update: A more careful search http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=176296 shows a thread a few years ago on this very subject. Several anecdotes about being hired midyear or at least until the end of September. Reasons vary; perhaps a school had too large classes and needed approval for another position. Family emergency; spouse getting transferred to another city. This is only anecdotal evidence, but it offers some hope.

Robert

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 28, 2015

If anything, you can take leave positions to gain more experience. Teachers also retire throughout the year. You may find some openings halfway through the year due to retirements.

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 28, 2015

You never know. A few years ago I had moved and took an aide job when I couldn't find a teaching job. Ended up getting a full-time job within the district halfway through the year. See if you can sub or something to get your foot in the door while you continue looking, and don't lose hope.

5. idiotprogrammer

idiotprogrammer Rookie

Aug 28, 2015

Two comments. First, for reasons too long to go into, subbing isn't an option for me.

Second, the economy in my city is pretty good. That can only help in the long term.

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 28, 2015

I've been a mid year hire on 2 occasions. It does happen!! I would seek another job (education or not) but keep applying for the job you want even if it's mid year.

I just got hired during the "11th" hour for the job I just accepted but quite honestly, yeah I'm sick of jobs in education being so limited to begin with especially with typically being more likely to get hired in 1 season. While I like my job, I'm considering eventually leaving education for something very different.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2015

The truth is that hiring pretty much goes on year round, but you do have to be focused enough to stay on top of the varied career opportunities section of the varied web sites.

Best of luck!

8. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 29, 2015

Yes! Like checking every day pretty much and seeing if you can get email notifications. Retirements and resignations do happen mid year, and it could be a positive thing for you as there wouldn't be as much competitive for the job, if any at all.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2015

Mid-year hires happen, but I wouldn't call them common.

10. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 30, 2015

leave replacements come up fairly often and are a great way to get a foot in the door…its how I got my new teaching job.

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

If you are willing or able to relocate Norfolk Public Schools (VA) is still hiring they had a teachers job fair yesterday.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

This.

The only mid year stuff that arises in my area are LTS maternity leaves.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 30, 2015

My school is a crazy exception, I guess. We tend to hire mid-year due to growth, but our students are extremely transient and our numbers swell around January.

14. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 30, 2015

I have two friends who got hired in September/October

Also, I've seen situations where often a leave replacement turns into s full time position so maybe that is an option too?

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 30, 2015

Agreed.

It's not impossible, but I would think the one or two openings in a district would have tons of applicants. I got one, but there were many interviewed and that was before there as many applicants per job as there are now.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 30, 2015

There has been someone hired after school starts every year I've been a teacher. School started 3 weeks ago here and we just filled my teammate's position earlier this week. Last year, a teacher decided not to come back after maternity leave and her position was filled in December. The other years, we got more funding after "October count" due to increased student numbers and were able to add an additional class section.

17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

Are you interested in relocating? There are several parts of the US where it shouldn't be a problem.

18. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 30, 2015

I'm in a similar boat as you. I actually almost moved out of state for a teaching job but the pay was very low and I could not have afforded the move. So now I'm scrambling to find a job here. Last year, I got a leave replacement in March that lasted until the end of the year so it's very likely to find something! Good luck :)

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 30, 2015

Mid year hires do happen, so keep your eyes open and keep applying. Stay positive. If it is a long term sub assignment, take it.
    At our school we've had an SDC self contained position open for the second year and we can't seem to fill it. We had a long term sub there alternating with another long term sub, and now this first one was offered an emergency credential to fill another position at our school (just became open)

Teachers leave for several reasons throughout the year (personal, health, etc), get let go (sometimes) and especially in the first couple of months sometimes they realize they just can't do it. So stay positive, it can happen.

I was hired in March, and they had had that position advertised at least since that January.

20. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Aug 30, 2015

I was hired in a well-regarded suburban district to replace a mid-year retiree...

21. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 30, 2015

You were hired in March and started that month to finish the rest of that short school year? Or they hired you in March and you started the coming school year?

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 30, 2015

I was hired in March and started in the beginning of April (I needed 2-3 weeks to move 6 hours away). I finished the school year and then they renewed me for the next year. (There was no promise for the next year at the time of hire, as they can't do that).

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2015

When I was hired mid-year, it was also due to a retirement. But it is still rare- most teachers finish the year out.