Hiring from within...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smalltowngal, Apr 23, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2008

Is this becoming a recurring theme among districts? From what job seekers are saying, this is a major hang up on why they haven't been interviewed or offered a job. I'm just wondering why districts post the job online knowing that it might be filled by transfers or an aide moving into a teacher's role.

And is this something that new teachers should expect? To work as an aide the first year or two out of college in order to work as a teacher?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 23, 2008

I have heard this too, and I am a veteran teacher with 10yrs. experience. I have seen some postings up for over two months and have been told they hire from within.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 23, 2008

What happens to the other position then? People just shuffled around?

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2008

I was hired last year over an internal candidate. I guess he was internal. He had just finished student teaching and my district often hires them. I hear that he really thought he had the job and I impressed them and he didn't. I subbed for years in my home district and couldn't get them to hire me. Moral of the story is...keep trying!

6. smalltowngal

Apr 23, 2008

I'm not giving up! This just seems to be the norm in most districts. The thing is I think I have great qualifications that would get me an interview, but haven't been called one time. And when I emailed to make sure everything was right with my application, they said they were still working with transfers and within district hires.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 23, 2008

Just believe! :)

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2008

In Texas the opening must be posted for at least 10 days whether or not they are filling it internally or filling it with people they all ready had lined up.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 23, 2008

It's the law that they have to advertise the position even though they already know who they're going to hire from w/in.

It's also the law to hire the most qualified, which no one really pushes. What sue the potential hand that is going to feed you?? They know that too.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 23, 2008

Around here, with the budget as bad as it is, they try to hire from within if at all possible. Shuffle people around, move aides to teachers, subs to teachers and stuff like that. I also know that people who student teach in a particular school are more likely to get a job than outsiders, but just because something is more likely, doesn't mean its definate.

Like another poster said, I've seen situations (at the college) where they thought they were only posting the job to fufill the requirements and would hire some pre-anointed candidate, but then somebody from the outside wound up coming in and blowing them away. The moral of the story is just keep trying.

11. smalltowngal

Apr 23, 2008

One position had been up for two months and another one for about 15 days.

mmswm- I HAVE been a sub for this district and specifically this school.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 23, 2008

stg...I don't know what to tell you. Keep your chin up (easier said than done). :hugs:

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 24, 2008

Smalltowngirl: I am in the same position. Not only did I student teach at the school in which I would love to teach, but I am also currently filling a long-term sub position. The admins say they love me. Unfortunately, they have received a memo from the school board in which they were told that the school (k-8) had to get rid of 4 teachers! The other first grade teachers are not sure how that's gong to happen, since we currently have 4 full (I mean full) classes, and next year's enrollment looks to be the same, if not bigger.

Keep praying, and I just have to believe that He will place me where He wants/needs me.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2008

At this early stage of the game, I too, am getting a little down about all the politics involved. I really also have to gripe about the online application system! I wasted a ton of money on a paper resume..... now that I'm applying online I feel like it's a crap shoot... if mine is open.. then I'm lucky, if not, well it's back to subbing. I am putting it in God's hands now.

15. smalltowngal

Apr 24, 2008

pwhatley-I didn't get a job in the school where I student taught either. They didn't hire any student teachers that year.

MissFrizz-I spent $25 on resume paper and report covers for mini portfolios to drop off at job fairs and at schools.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

I think they fill from within to an extent but that wouldn't be enough teachers unless there was zero growth in the district. If someone just transfers that should leave another position open at a school unless they are downsizing, which I suppose could be the case. Around here, the only aides are special ed aids and most of them don't have a certification to take over a class so we really don't have aides moving up.

17. smalltowngal

Apr 24, 2008

Well, I haven't heard of any downsizing in the district. Its growing pretty rapidly.

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

So that means things will open up. They HAVE to. It is a mathematical fact. :up: In a growing district, there is no way :naughty: every position can be filled with a transfer or an aide moving up. I've done my research:reading:

19. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

In NE WI the job market is very competitive with hundreds of applicants for a single position. I know of teachers who were recently hired by a district other than where they student taught or subbed and those that were hired in a district where they were already known. That first summer I sent out application after application and didn't land a single interview. I was furious that I would go to all that work when it seemed districts only wanted someone they already knew. After a long school year of thinking about it I realized that principals are bound to know someone or know someone who knows someone. Why should they take a risk when they don't have to? Ultimately I was hired in the district where I student taught and subbed but I made a point to get to know as many people as possible during that year. That's what worked for me but I know everybody's situation is different.

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

Are you in Brown County, Tom Foolery?

21. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 24, 2008

My district hires from within. Positions are posted internally and schools can look outside after they interview the internal applicants. I know that since I am currently looking for a position, there was a reduction in force in my school, I'm hoping to just be able to transfer to another building!

22. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 24, 2008

However, last year I student taught and LTS in the building where I am currently employed. I was considered an internal hire because I subbed long enough to get certain rights under the teacher contract. It's different in different districts. Mine doesn't even post elementary openings on their website.

However, I sent application materials to another district and I was told they do the same thing. Try to hire internally and then look at outside applications.

However, mathematically speaking....eventually they can't hire internally at some point with all the suffling and they have to go outside their current staff.

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

I heard that positions here have to be posted internally for 10 days before posting to the outside. My kids' district is so much slower than the one that hired me already. They will very likely be still recruiting and hiring in August. The season is YOUNG.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 24, 2008

I am so glad to not have to job search. I hate job searching. I'm now going send up a prayer of thanks and gratitude for the fact that I don't have to go on a job search.

25. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 24, 2008

Not all positions are filled by aides or long-term subs. My friend (first year teacher, right out of college) was hired over the aide that had been there for 2 years. The aide told her that she got the position she wanted and interviewed for.

26. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 25, 2008

I hear you STG!!!! I absolutely HATE playing these "games" (even in the dating world) and I feel like it shouldn't be played in the job market. I understand the appeal of hiring from within but COME ON!!! HIRE A NEW FACE FOR ONCE!!!!

27. smalltowngal

Apr 25, 2008

And there can't be that many aides that are certified to teach! And I'm not trying to offend here, but how can one be sure that the aide is the best person for the job?

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2008

In our district there doesn't seem to be a lot of promoting aides and long-term subs to regular teaching positions. I think it's because aides and LTSes don't usually hold the appropriate certifications and licenses.

We do post positions internally before they are released to the public, though. In fact, we've already seen the 3rd round of in-district transfer vacancies.

I do agree that teachers already in-district should get first pick of open slots in other grades/subjects or at other schools. These teachers have demonstrated their success in the classroom, so they're a safer bet than a new hire. I guess I don't see anything wrong with this practice.

Now, for the positions vacated by teachers due to in-district transfers, those should be open to all qualified applicants--with or without prior teaching experience.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

I have not read the rest of this thread.

Lets see it depends on the district. I have the bad luck to be an aide in two schools that did NOT hire their aides. THey hired from outside.

That being said the district I am at now and the one I was at last year DO hire their aides. I was lucky to get my foot in the door at the school I am at now. There are two aides finishing their degrees this year, that would most likely have gotten the job i have now if they had finished last year.
    The sucky part is now all three of us will be applying for my job if the budget is approved.

30. smalltowngal

Apr 25, 2008

Cassie- I don't see a problem with transfers within the district. However, I don't like the practice of automatically hiring aides or LTS subs without at least interviewing outside applicants.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2008

Oh, gotcha. I don't like that practice either. And in my district, it's not very common--because if the person were qualified to be a regular classroom teacher, they would be. There are so many open positions available year-round that the district would never turn any qualified applicant away.

32. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

May 4, 2008

Sorry, Lemonhead, I'm just catching up here. I'm in Outagamie county, so close. It's just so competitive here. I keep hearing 200-300 applicants for a single position. Is this the same for other parts of the country? When we were in school we kept hearing about the need for teachers but it doesn't look that way to me. I really feel for those trying to get jobs.

Tom

33. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 4, 2008

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 4, 2008

I was hired after being an aide for 2 years. I was working on my Masters degree and a teaching position opened up. This has happened twice that I know of in my school. It is a small private school not a part of a district so there might be some differences.

35. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 4, 2008

Where in NY are you?

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 4, 2008

I'm north of NYC.

37. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 5, 2008

In my district a posting goes through a 5 day in building posting, then a 5 day in district posting before it can go on the web site for the public. They can change the wording of the posting in between building/district/public postings too. They did this recently to eliminate an undesirable in building transfer. They upped the qualification requirements so that the undesirable teacher couldn't go for it, then when it went public, the wording was different.

38. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

May 6, 2008

Maybe I can add some insight. This year is the first time I have ever heard of this situation. My district has "floater" teachers. They were hired but put in positions that are either short term or positions that will be terminated at the end of the year. They are almost put on reserve. They are then given priority in the hiring process. The job will be posted, but these teachers are given preference on new jobs. There are 43 of them this year and will given first dibs on the new openings.

39. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

May 6, 2008

Is it generally easier for a teacher to get a job in an inner-city school then a suburban school?

40. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 6, 2008

Tom,

I was born and raised in Title Town, dontcha know, less than two miles from the frozen tundra! I really miss it and still make it back a couple times a year. One of my sisters lives in New London, which I think is Outagamie County.

Anyway, I can tell you that in the Northern suburbs of Dallas, there are some jobs because communities are adding schools. When they add a school, enrollment at other schools goes down so teachers are shifted through transfers. The competition for the remaining jobs in the new schools is incredibly fierce.

I think there is a huge misconception that teacher jobs are a dime a dozen. People think, "look how many schools there are and look how many teachers!" They seem to think that those are all open positions each year. I don't know, but I certainly was shocked to see how hard it is to get a job. I am also amazed to see how knowing someone can really, really help.

GO Pack GO!

Lemon

41. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

May 6, 2008

I can't agree with you more. You've gotta network, network, network. I found that somewhat difficult because I don't like to promote myself, but i made a commitment to get to know people and when that happened they found out what kind of teacher I was.

As our school goes though the process of figuring out which teachers will team with each other I wonder how anybody really knows who is a good teacher and who isn't. It's not like we really get a chance to see each other teach but I know I've formed opinions about my colleagues. I wonder how much of that goes on with regard to the hiring process...