Hiring freeze announced today in my district ;(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Tetti, May 29, 2008.

1. Tetti

Tetti Rookie

May 29, 2008

Does this mean that even though schools may need teachers that they aren't allowed to hire any new teachers. Maybe that is the reason why I haven't heard anything in regards to my interview. I would think that the district could still hire if they are in need of a teacher. Thanks for any feedback.

3. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 29, 2008

Freeze in my district means NO hiring, at all.

Kelly

4. Tetti

Tetti Rookie

May 29, 2008

Great. Does anyone know how long an hiring freeze lasts?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 29, 2008

Same here. Hiring freezes mean no hiring, just bigger class sizes for the existing teachers.

How long they last varies. They last as long as it takes the district to figure the budget out and see where/if any they can cut funds.

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 29, 2008

Hiring freezes last as long as a district is under a budget crunch. It could mean they just need to wait until the July budget is approved for the next school year. Or they may have that information and are not hiring at all for the next school year. You could call District Office for more specific information or attend a board meeting to inquire.

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 29, 2008

We were just told this morning that they will be eliminating two teachers at every school! Florida is no longer the promised land of teaching. I am so sick of hearing people say that they were told by recruiters to just move down you will have a job. We're under a freeze too until mid-june then it all breaks loose. Many rumors going around right now. Keep the faith! There are always last minute openings when the kids show up. For some reason, the general thinking right now is that we're going to lose thousands of children and I really just don't see that happening. I see all the children showing up and then a mad scramble to find teachers.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 29, 2008

Well, it could last a week, a month. or a year. I would guess the school board needs to meet and discuss funding. Why don't you look at the website and see what is on the agenda for the next district meeting and then go to it.

Plus, who told you this? Maybe they are wrong or blowing smoke.

9. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 29, 2008

You should contact the recruiting department at the district to find out when the hiring freeze will be lifted. There's a hiring freeze in my district, but I've heard that the schools will be hiring some time between July and August.

10. colormegreen

colormegreen Rookie

May 31, 2008

The hiring freeze that I heard of here in NC is dependent on the State's budget and they won't be figuring it out until this summer. July 1st is the new year for budgets so I figure that any hiring freezes would be determined then.

I was told by one principal she had a hiring freeze but it was due to student enrollment being lower but she still interviewed me and the other applicants.

I would contact the district and figure out what kind of hiring freeze it is and then go from there.

Good luck!:)

11. Tetti

Tetti Rookie

May 31, 2008

Thanks, I heard the freeze will be lifted in July. Just like you wrote ColorMeGreen. I guess I just have to wait.

12. subinla

subinla Rookie

May 31, 2008

Anyone remember the song "FREEZE FRAME" by J Giles Band?