Hiring committee for new principal

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by karebear76, Jan 6, 2015.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jan 6, 2015

I was just asked by the super to serve on the hiring committee for our next principal. There will be 3 classroom teachers, 1 board member, and 3 admins. We have 3 in district candidates and unknown outside. I've never done this before. I am there for the special ed perspective.

What questions would you ask a potential elementary principal? What special ed issues would you be interested in? The current P is retiring, and has some preconceived ideas about spec ed that aren't entirely accurate, even though they taught spec ed before gen ed.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 6, 2015

I would want some insight into the following:
    - thoughts on inclusion v. pull-out models
    - if favoring inclusion, what role does the candidate see the sped teacher taking in the inclusion classroom
    - thoughts on handling behaviors for students with severe ED or autism identifications (such as what is the candidate's role in dealing with inappropriate behaviors and what consequences, if any, should be given, etc.)
    -thoughts on modifications and accommodations (what is permissible in the candidate's view, and who is responsible for implementing them, again in the candidate's view)
    - thoughts on what to do with or for struggling students who do not qualify for sped
    - how candidate would handle a disagreement between a sped teacher and a regular classroom teacher
    - how candidate would handle issues between a sped teacher and a para (if teacher doesn't feel para is doing job properly or is absent from work too often, or if a para feels unsupported by a sped teacher)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'll post again if I think of more. Sounds like a great opportunity!

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jan 6, 2015

Thanks for all those very valid questions! I'll be asking my 4 spec ed colleagues for their input as well. I'm grateful for the opportunity.

5. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jan 6, 2015

^^That's a great opportunity. I agree with bella regarding those questions. Those are excellent, especially the ones regarding severe ED and autism behavior.