Hiring after school year starts?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by QQQ, Jul 19, 2008.

1. QQQ

QQQ Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

Does that happen? Do principals hire after school starts? The reason I ask is that I have passed my exam but am not yet applying as we move homes last week of August and I know I wont be able to handle a new job and a complete residential move with a toddler. I am hoping to apply in September as soon as we have moved.

Does that severely limit my chance, especially considering I will be a first year teacher? When does the next hiring season occur? Thanksgiving? March/April? NEXT summers? :unsure::eek:

I will be applying for Special Education jobs in the Houston/greater Houston area.

Thank you!

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

Hiring in most places goes on well into September, even October, as districts figure out how many kids they have and what to do with them. There will generally be some hiring for the second semester toward the end of the year. Hiring for the next year generally starts around April, but could be earlier or later depending on where you are. Where I am in California, hiring doesn't start in earnest until shortly before the end of the school year into summer because of perernial budget issues. Don't know what the chances are for sped where you are. Where I am, it would be a good bet that you could land a job in September.

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 20, 2008

Yes it definitely happens - I didn't realize it but I guess it does depending on a lot of things as per Malcolm stated.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

Yes, it does happen...sometimes its for fulltime teachers and others its for maternity leaves. But a job is a job to start out with and get some experience. Good luck with your move, too!

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

Yes, it happens all the time. There are usually new hires well into September.

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2008

I got hired last year in September.

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

It does happen for many reasons. I agree sometimes teachers need to leave for a sickness, quit, relocate, fired, etc....