Hired weeks before school starts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by JFish15, May 23, 2007.

1. JFish15

JFish15 Rookie

May 23, 2007

I am currently looking for an El. Ed. position. My worst fear is being hired weeks before school starts! :confused:

ANY advice for preparing/planning/cramming for a classroom/teaching position with such little time tp spare?

ANY advice would help! :thanks:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 23, 2007

It happened to me last year. I was hired the first week in August. I had to find a place to live and move 230 miles. I didn't get much done before school started. My life saver was the book "The First Six Weeks of School"
    http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/bookstore/index.html

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2007

For my first permanent contract I was hired a week after school started! I interviewed on a Wednesday, was hired on Thursday, observed in the class (which was being covered by a sub) on Friday and started to teach on Monday! If you are hired late (and better late than never), worry about the things that are immediately important first--plan your first few days, rough out your first month, gather instructional materials, etc. Things like decorating your room and putting up bulletin boards can wait if need be.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2007

I got hired on a Friday in October a few years ago and started work that following Monday. These things happen but I was so happy that I got hired that I didn't care. I spent that weekend getting things put together and researching teacher websites. Other than that, I got together with the other kinder teachers and they helped me to get my class started. It's all about collaboration, I think. I wouldn't really worry about getting hired weeks before school starts because thats what happens. Many schools don't really have the numbers until sometimes when school begins. I know that many schools don't like to overhire in case they don't have the numbers so they wait to hire. It's better to hire teachers later than have to let teachers go. So, just spend the summer gaining some experiences and memory. Maybe volunteer, go on trips, research websites. Good luck!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2007

Hired is hired... don't sweat WHEN it happens, as long as it happens!

7. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

May 23, 2007

I rather gethired close to the school yearthan nothired at all!

El. Ed is so saturated.

8. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

May 23, 2007

Our school district (large, urban) never seems to be doing new hires until August. The week of workshop is not uncommon.

There is another spurt of hiring here after Oct. 1, when schools have made their"final count".

While its not ideal - don't give up hope, and keep pounding the pavement throughout the summer and fall.

And if you get hired last minute, you'll make it work- even though it'll be hard. A job's a job!

9. missannierella

missannierella Rookie

May 23, 2007

Although we have one of the largest districts in the state, over 90% of our hiring is performed in late August (we start Sept. 5th).

Mid-May is when the budget is released, and Principals start posting openings. Interviews occur in June, and those 15-20 positions are filled before July.

Most first-year teachers are hired the week school begins, as that is when we get our "final" staffing needs from the district.

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 24, 2007

I was hired on August 20th and school started the day after Labor Day. That was 7 years ago. I also had to sell my home and move my family 250 miles across the state. It was hard but it worked out. You can start collecting books and other things for your classroom but without knowing what grade you will be teaching, it's a bit tough to get everything ready. Good luck to you!

11. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 24, 2007

My advice...not matter WHEN you get hired, remember that someone decided to actually pay you $$$ for something you love to do!

12. Schöne Lehrerin

Schöne Lehrerin Rookie

May 24, 2007

My advice is to read Harry Wong's book The First Days of School. This book was my like my "bible" before my first year of teaching. I read it the summer before, and I did everything the book said. When reading it some of the things he said to plan for or make rules and procedures for I thought sounded ridiculous, but you really do need procedures for all those things. So even though you might not know where you will teach you can sit down, think about, and plan out how you want your classroom to run.

13. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

May 24, 2007

I was hired in the middle of the school year and my first day was a Monday I was hired on the Thursday before. I didn't even get a chance to observe. But, the teachers on my team were great they already had lesson plans and work ready for me when I started.