Hired! Now what?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Aug 5, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Hey everyone, I just got hired (at a job fair) to teach 4th grade! It happens to be at the same school that I student taught at which is great, because I loved that school. What should I do now? How should I prepare? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first year (excited and terrified all at once :lol: )

3. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

Congrats!! If possible can you get a sneak peek at your curriculum? Do you already know what materials are available in your classroom? It can be exciting to purchase new things, but take inventory of what you will already have so you make the most of your money.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

Congratulations! I would get in your classroom ASAP and start planning set up. I'd hold out on lesson plans/first day until you meet your team.

5. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 5, 2013

Woot Woot! Congratulations! I would start planning for classroom setup

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2013

Start studying your standards. Even if you plan as a grade level, it won't hurt knowing what you have to cover. I always find the best lesson ideas when I'm not really looking for something specific.

Decide on your procedures. Think through every moment of your day and know how you want it to go. Have a plan for everything- desks, tissues, extra supplies, restroom breaks, pencil sharpeners, etc.

Take measurements of your room and clean out any old junk. Plan your furniture layout and traffic areas.

7. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Aug 5, 2013

Congratulations ! Happy to have another new VA teacher! I only got one unofficial day in my classroom before we had New Teacher Orientation, but I used that day to sort out materials in my classroom and organize. I have been putting in a few hours each day since, and I feel like I am in okay shape...... boards are up, desks arranged, furniture cleaned....tomorrow I meet with my team for planning !

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2013

Congratulations!

I agree, study the standards that need to be taught for the grade level, get a hold of the curriculum, and work out those pieces of your classroom management you want to hone in on from your student teaching.

Best wishes!