Hired for one year only....

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by LucyS, Aug 19, 2007.

1. LucyS

LucyS Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I read a couple of old posts here, and now I'm concerned.

I've been hired to a position that is for one year only. The job is guaranteed to a teacher who is on leave due to getting her PhD.

Does this mean that at the end of the year I will be pink-slipped and will forever-after have to write "YES" to the question of whether I have ever been fired from a teaching post?!

Well... that seems horribly unfair. Even if there's a perfectly good explanation, that would look terrible on an application, wouldn't it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

There may be a retirement or resignation or even a job available because of increaing enrollment at the end of the year...wouldn't it be great if you could slide into something like that? Do a great job so they'll want to keep you!! If they have to let you go you won't technically be fired since it's a one year contract. You wouldn't answer 'yes, I've been fired'...you'd list the job experience and note that it was only a one year position..:mellow:

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2007

You were only contracted for one year, and told the position is only for a year. So, you would not have to say that you have been fired or that your contract was not renewed.

5. LucyS

LucyS Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

That makes me feel a lot better, thank you.

6. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 19, 2007

LucyS, what you have is a "long term sub" position (like me). :) It means that you are hired to take over for another teacher for an extended period of time, without contract (I assume). It's a great way to get your foot in the door and build up your portfolio. When it ends, it ends, though there may be other opportunities/openings. It does NOT mean that you will be terminated... it simply means that you worked for the period you were hired for.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2007

LucyS, thats what I did my first year:) I was a full year LTS in kindergarten. It gave me a lot of experience and I had a lot to talk about the following summer on interviews. Unfortunately for me the school district didn't have any openings so I had to go on another search, but it definitely worked out for me in the end. And now I'm going into my 5th year of teaching! Good luck! :D