Hired for a new teaching position while still in a current position

Discussion in 'General Education' started by andyguitar331, Mar 13, 2015.

1. andyguitar331

andyguitar331 Rookie

Mar 13, 2015

Hello Teachers

So I got a call from a district in my home town. I accepted the position. I have already submitted a resignation letter for the end of this school year, but it looks like its going to have to be resubmitted for next month since that's when they want me to start.

I will inform administration after school today, I just got the call this morning. I plan to leave as soon as I am done with a fundraiser to avoid any confusion on that. I will give the administration notice on my exit.

I feel terrible leaving in the middle of the semester, but it seems like I have to do this in order to ensure that I have a job when I return home.

Has anyone gone through this before? What will administration do to fill my position if they can't find anyone to take my position? what do administrators do in these situations when a teacher quits in the middle of the semester? I'd hate to leave and screw everyone over.

Saying no to the new job is not an option. The location will be better because I will be way closer to my family and friends; the schedule will be better because the one I have currently is a mess (my classes overlap).

thanks for reading :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2015

I know you have been in a difficult position this year. Glad you have found a job that will be a better fit. Is this job just for the rest of the school year?

As far as leaving your present job, I'm assuming that your contract allows you to leave early without jeopardizing your certificate? If that is the case, don't worry about what the school will do to replace you. They will probably throw an assortment of subs in the classes since we are close to the end of the year.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 13, 2015

Well, it sounds like you have a few weeks. As long as you're within the notification window (I think 3 weeks is typical), you should be fine.

I assume admin will start the hiring process. I was hired after another teacher suddenly left (fired, actually), and I believe they simply had a sub in the room for a couple of weeks, even for a couple of days while I observed the students.

It's not a pretty situation you're in as far as your current school is, but as long as you do everything proper, there's only so much nastiness they can really give you. And you have to do what you need to do.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 13, 2015

In PA they can hold you for 60 days. I left my job at the very start of the school year (I was offered a new job in a different district the day before, or maybe it was the day of, when teachers returned in August). My principal was supportive. The district opened the position and I was able to leave when a replacement was hired which took about 2 weeks. So I missed the very beginning of the school year at my current school, but after a few weeks there all was smooth. I did feel bad about being with my students at my old school for one week and then leaving them, but it was the right choice for me and I don't regret my decision at all.

Good luck and hope you can be released from your current contract by the time the new school wants you to start.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2015

The OP may want to check his contract - it is 60 days in most of NJ. The exception is if they can find a replacement and choose to let you out of your contract. Without meaning to sound catty, if your obvious displeasure affected your teaching effectiveness, they may be very OK with letting you move on. I don't believe this is going to surprise them, but hey, I could be surprised and wrong. Sixty days is the "new normal" for giving notice if you are contracted in education.

7. andyguitar331

andyguitar331 Rookie

Mar 13, 2015

Thank you everyone for the info!

I'm a little worried about the fundraiser. By the time I would have to leave for the new position, the sales and the order placement should be taken care of; however the items will arrive 14 days after the order is placed. I guess the biggest worry would be making sure the customers actually received what they purchased. Should I pass on that responsibility (delivery and pick up) to someone else?

I'm hoping to talk to one of the coaches or someone else who is familiar with fundraisers and nicely ask if they could take care of the final step for me.

This opportunity came at a weird time. This would all be a breeze if I didn't have the fundraiser going on.

Here is a question if anyone can answer it:
    Let's say a person doesn't receive their product from the fundraiser, and I am not there to take care of the situation; can I legally get in trouble for this since I was initially responsible for the fundraiser?

8. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 13, 2015

What was the fundraiser for? Something music related? The issue with not receiving the product would be between the company who gave the product out and the person who ordered it - perhaps an administrator could do the final few steps of the fundraiser, or a secretary could make sure the stuff is distributed properly?

9. andyguitar331

andyguitar331 Rookie

Mar 16, 2015

The superintendent responded. I turned in my letter of resignation, they are holding me 30 days which is in my contract. This is good because It gives me time to complete the fundraiser. I don't know when to tell the kids though. I might tell them at the beginning of the last week of my employment. I'm sure they will find out though; this is a small town so news spreads fast.

I hope they understand that I'm not leaving out of spite. The new position is in my home town with a normal schedule; this will make it way easier to cope with my bipolar disorder since work stress will be reduced and my family will be near.

If I could finish the year I would, but the other position wants me there ASAP.

Our fundraiser is doing great by the way!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2015

Great news!

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2015

Trust me - they will know as soon as the vacancy is posted, so you might not want to wait so late if it will become common knowledge in the very near future. When you do tell them, try to avoid the term spite and keep you mental health status to yourself. They need to be able to process the changes without being overwhelmed. Just a suggestion.

12. andyguitar331

andyguitar331 Rookie

Mar 16, 2015

Yeah I'm not really open about my mental disorder, the only reason I'm so open about it here is because you all don't personally know me (I hope). I will tell them that I took the position because it is closer to my family; I'm sure they will be able to get over it with time.

They made it very difficult for me to tell them today. Two of the students arranged a song for our mariachi to play and for me to sing; they knew that it is my favorite mariachi tune because my grandfather would always sing it to me. It made me want to cry! It's difficult to tell them about my departure after they did something so nice for me!