Hired! But...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by miss brave, Jun 13, 2007.

1. miss brave

miss brave Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Hi all -- just looking for some reassurance/advice:

Yesterday I got a phone call from a school: "I need to add you to the budget, so I'll need your Social Security Number." Imagine my total surprise, because I didn't even know I'd been hired! Apparently they sent me a letter with some forms I need to fill out, which I haven't yet received. (I don't even know what grade I'll be teaching!) I called back today to let them know I still hadn't received the papers, but the woman I'd been in contact with was already gone for the day.

I'm excited to have been hired by this school, but I'm a little nervous that the whole thing will turn out to have been a mix-up and that they actually hired someone else...! I have an interview/demo lesson on Friday morning that I was planning to cancel, but I've been putting it off because I can't shake the feeling that it's not really real until I have the papers in my hand.

Any advice?

3. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

I wouldn't cancel the interview/demo lesson for Friday until you are sure you have the job. Is there someone else you can call? It is a little strange that they didn't call to offer you a position, since technically you have to accept it!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

Did you give out your social security number??

If so, I would call NOW to be sure the call was authentic.

It could be a mixup. Or it could be a scam-- Identity theft.

Call and be sure.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 13, 2007

Call and talk to someone immediately.

6. miss brave

miss brave Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

The call was definitely from the school; I have caller ID. And when I called back today and my "contact" had gone home, another woman took down my information and left a note for her.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

OK, good. Sorry, that just sounded a little too good to be true.

So.....Congrats!!!! IT looks as though you may have a job!!!

And I would keep the demo scheduled until I had a contract in my hand.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2007

It seems a little odd to me that rather than phoning you first to tell you that you are hired or even to ask you if you are still available, that they will send you papers to fill out. They are making a lot of assumptions here. I would be a little wary of them, but I always think the worst and would probably go into the school and talk to them face to face to make sure that it wasn't a mistake. Personally, I will plan on going to your interview/demo lesson on Friday.

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

Congratulations! That's a strange way to find out, but like every said, I'd still follow through with the plans for Friday.

10. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

Something very similar happened to me. I had an "interview" (I put it in quotes because he is good friends with my mom and he only asked me two questions and did the rest of the talking himself) with a principal on Saturday and he told me it was between two and he would call on Monday with the decision. I didn't hear anything Monday or Tuesday and so I finally called him. He said he mailed the contract on Monday. Although I was happy, I was a little irritated that he didn't call to offer me the job but assumed that I would take it.

NewSpEdTeacher2017 likes this.
  11. miss brave

miss brave Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

Well, here's the skinny:

The letter came today. My zip code was incorrect, which is probably why it took so long. I signed it, sent it back and burned my bridges (aka canceled my other interview). So now I am (a) excited, (b) relieved and (c) still residually stressed out from the past week!

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 14, 2007

fifth

Oh, so glad everything worked out for you. Fifth grade they will be so much more grown up than your little first graders. Less bending over, more papers to grade, but I know you will enjoy your first year. Go pick up your teachers books. Measure your BB. And ask what supplies the school supplies.

Buy extra pencils, colored pencils, glue, file folders at Wal Marts August back to school sales.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2007

That's great. I can admit now: I was still kind of nervous about your social security question.

How thrilled you must be!!!