Hired as Math Interventionist Today

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Alisha, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself.

This is going to be my third year teaching. I got hired this morning to be the math interventionist at a k-5 elementary school. I am brand new to elementary! I've only done sixth and seventh before.

The position will basically be small groups of intervention and enrichment kids throughout the day, but the principal told me that because this is a new program to the school, basically whatever I envision goes. This sounds great, but I might need some tips from you great math teachers as I go.

I'm thrilled to have this very new challenge and would love any suggestions you can give me right off the bat!

Thank you everyone. I look forward to hanging around here with you this school year!

(PS My 15 month old tore my "t" off of my computer keyboard, I think I found most of the ones I missed, but please bear with me if I haven't.:eek:)

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

Congrats on the new job. It seems like you have a great attitude going into it since you are open to ideas. I would use that and ask the teachers you'll be working with, how your time could best be utilized in a way that is most beneficial to their children. Have fun with it!

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Congrats!! I guess the first tip/advice would be to work closely with the teaches who students you will have in small groups.

Ask them where the students are having difficulty, need more help on etc. This will help guide your small groups. As the students meet goals, then you can add on more skills for them to work on.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

Congrats!!! Is it going to be more of a pull-out situation where you see groups of students for 30-45 minutes per day?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

YAY!! Congrats.

7. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

That is what it sounds like they are aiming for. I'm thinking it might be nice to allow some time for kids to be able to use my room (whatever closet that may be haha) and myself as a resource where they are able to pop in during their math without having to see me regularly, but I'm not certain how that would work. This is going to be a learning process for me. I wish I had more than two weeks, but hey, you can learn a lot in 14 days!

8. smalltowngal

Aug 16, 2011

I'm not sure I would just allow them to pop in...maybe get together with each grade level and see when they do math and have a particular time when their students would come to you for help.

9. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

This is definitely what I am hoping to do! :D By the pop in thing I think I just meant the option for kids who normally don't see me, but need a little extra to come in during that time too. Of course I still really need to work out in my head (and with the grade level teachers) how this program is going to look. I'm sorry if I say anything silly while I'm learning about this:whistle:

10. Gracie44

Gracie44 Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Hi, you should check out Kim Sutton's books and workshops. She has amazing ideas for building up basic skills. I also love the mindware books for more challenging math problems. One thought... it is great that you have freedom, but you also want to make sure that you are proving that your position is valuable and makes a difference. Get copies of the tests or skills students will be assessed on from the homeroom teachers and have your math activities parallel these skills either building up areas of weakness or extending and challenging learning. Then ask the teachers to keep you in the loop with math grades. Another option is to have your students do a pre and post assessment with the NWEA Map Math test, it is done on a computer and could be a great way to measure growth. It will also give you a very specific break down of all of the skills the student needs to work on. Good luck!

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

Wow - I'd love to teach small groups! COngrats!

12. smalltowngal

Aug 17, 2011

Nothing you say will be silly!

What you're envisioning so far sounds awesome! Like, skittleroo, I'd love to do small groups!