hire me please

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacher wanna b, Jul 8, 2010.

1. teacher wanna b

teacher wanna b New Member

Jul 8, 2010

:confused::confused::confused::confused:I graduated from The University of West Florida in 2008. I did not try to find a job right away because I had my children first. Now I am looking in Baldwin Co. Al. as well as Escambia Co. Fl. for a teaching position with no luck at all. I sub'd last semester but have not even been called for an interview. What can I do to get hired? Please help.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2010

Apply, apply, apply, follow up, follow up, follow up! I really feel like if you make finding a job your full time job, you will be successful. I am certainly NOT saying that you aren't trying that's for sure, but I am saying it takes A LOT of hard work to find a job. Keep your chin up!!! You will find something.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2010

Make sure your cover letter leaves them thinking "THIS is a teacher I want to meet!!!"

Make sure every line of your resume just SCREAMS "This will translate well into our school."

Hit the internet. Find every single school within an hour's drive (You can figure out child care after you get the offer.) I mean public, private, religious, charter. Apply to every single one, whether or not they're showing vacancies. For as many as possible, dress up and hand deliver them. If the principal is available, great. If not, make a great impression on the secretary-- their opinons are highly valued.

How's that for a start??

Good luck!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2010

p.s Make sure you follow all of the directions for applying. Many many school districts are online ONLY now. Don't send them a paper copy. It'll show that you don't follow directions. :)

6. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

Hi!

I just want to add that it's really hard to get a teaching job around Birmingham without knowing somebody. It may be the same in Baldwin. So tell everyone you know you are looking for a job. Is all your application stuff up to date on the website? Emailing principals might help too.

Good luck!

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

It's VERY competitive where I live and really - it's a numbers game. You've got to apply, apply, and apply more and more! The more you apply, the better your chances. Make sure you have a stellar cover letter and UP TO DATE references too.

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

May not be ideal, but keep in mind periphery education jobs for the interim- museum, library, day care center, after school program, tutoring, learning center.... Certainly hope you get your dream job and do continue pursuing that, but sometimes its good to bolster your resume and make connections and contacts at other jobs first. Good luck!

9. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 9, 2010

10. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

I worked as an assistant for 2yrs first (even though i had my license). This gave me a lot of experience and built my confidence... although its a switch, the principal i met and interviewed with really admired that I chose that route.

I saw all the vacancies and even ones that didn't have vacancies and hand delivered resumes/cover letters. Then did a follow up email attaching my resume to it again. I did this about 2-3 times before I got a call back.

Hope that helps. Be persistent and don't give up!