Highschool student with thoughts of becoming a teacher, need advise!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by student27, Nov 17, 2007.

1. student27

student27 New Member

Nov 17, 2007

Hi, I am a senior in highschool and have worked at an afterschool care at an elementary school for over a year. Over the past many months I have thought alot about what i want to do with my life. Originally, I wanted to become a doctor. But the more I think about it now, I want to become a doctor less, and a teacher more.

I have worked with elementary school children for over a year and I love it. I know being a teacher is nothing like it, but just teaching the kids and helping them has brought alot of happiness to my life. I have been told I am great helping the kids as well.

I thought this would be a great place to ask, as this place seems to have many very gifted and dedicated teachers, would teaching be for me? I have read some people talk about how months into there first year of teaching they already hate it. This worries me. While I can only imagine the stress and work that comes with the job, is it bad enough to want you to quit after doing all the work to become one?

I know this might not be the best time and place to ask, but I really have seriously been thinking about this. As I have already been getting acceptance letters in from colleges, I know that before I realize it I will have to make a decision on my future. Would teaching be right for me?

3. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Nov 18, 2007

There are times when teaching is really hard and it's easy to vent on a site like this. Honestly it's not all bad - if it was, we wouldn't all still be here.

I personally love being with my grade. Unfortunately my face to face time with them is 22.5 hours a week but I work about 52.5 - it's that other 30 hours that sometimes get me down! But then I go back into my grade and am reminded why I do the job; it's for the joy of working with them.

So if you *really* like working with kids and are prepared to put up with some crud to be able to follow your heart, go for it. :)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2007

Well, there are no guarantees. Some people decide after a while that teaching really isn't for them after all.

But not me. I decided in 2nd grade that I was meant to be a teacher. After 22 years of teaching, I'm still convinced that it was the right choice.

Are some days tough? Of course!! (That's why they call it "work" :) ) Are some classes very tough? Ooooh yeah! ( particularly right before a vacation, or anytime it's snowing.) But that's OK; it gives you a real appreciation for the times they're good. And sometimes those rough classes are the ones with whom I bond the most.

Also, kind of off topic: Don't assume that you need to know TODAY exactly where your future is headed. Knowing what you might just like is good enough. So go into that education program, but do so with an open mind; something else may come along that piques your interest. Very few people actually follow a direct path from that 2nd grade ambition to an actual career; there are usually a number of detours along the way.

Best wishes. Let us know how you're doing!

5. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 18, 2007

I come home everyday, with knowing one thing. That I helped others. I don't know about you, but this makes me feel awesome. One tip for you: to many people are going in saying "i want to teach children how to read and open their minds to literature." or "i want to help children with math."

Why not say science? They will be interested in you, people are sick of hearing about the same subjects. If you get up there and say I want to help others understand science, you will be known.

Bottom line-the kids need people like you! No job is easy, that's what keeps me going. The feeling of helping others, gives me the energy to keep moving!

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2007

When I started college, I was a pre-law/political science major, mostly because my family thought I should be a lawyer. At the end of my sophomore year, I had an epiphany, and realized that I needed to live my life for ME and that what I was meant to do was teach. I had to go to college for an extra semester (luckily, all those poli-sci classes and required math, science, and English classes took care of my non-education requirements).
    I have been teaching for fifteen years. It is what I DO. When people ask me if I am crazy for teaching seventh grade, I tell them, yeah, a little bit. I do not regret my decision.
    Has it all been flowers and candy? Nope. Far from it. In fact, last year the situation with the principal at my school was SO BAD that I seriously thought about what I might do besides teach. I was ready to quit mid-year. Then I realized that in the grand scheme of things, I WOULD outlast her, and I was right.
    So...what can you do to see if this is really what you want to do? You say you already work with first graders. See if you can get into a school to observe teachers doing their jobs. Talk to the counselors in your school to see if they can help you with this. Talk to people in your family who teach and ask if you could come to school with them for a day. Teach religious classes (if you belong to a church, synogogue, etc). Work at a summer camp (the Y and Park District Daycamps in my town hire LOTS of teenagers to work with the kids. Then see what happens.
    The great thing about college is that you have to take lots of required courses in lots of areas, so you get a taste for what you might want to do.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 18, 2007

Here's something to think about: becoming a teacher of nursing. If I recall correctly, you can become a registered nurse with a BA and not nearly as much post-BA time as a doctor, and as short as the supply of qualified nurses is, the supply of qualified nursing instructors is even shorter.

8. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Nov 18, 2007

I had never even thought of becoming a teacher, until I moved to a town where it was the only job that offered benefits and was open to someone with a Biology degree. Now, I'm hooked! I've taken it and ran with it, and took advantage of every opportunity that has come my way. I love teaching and learning and the challenges and the people. Its not all hunky dory, but life is what you make of it....

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 18, 2007

I grew up wanting to be a teacher, then some time around high school got this fantasy that I wanted to be an actor or writer! Well, I went to college and got my degree in creative writing and my minor in theatre (with the thought in my mind that I would teach later.) I worked for a year, and decided to go to grad school. I don't regret for a moment that I did a bachelors degree in something I loved. I used drama and writing every day in my class, and I do it for fun outside of school. I'm glad I got my masters in education, because you start out making more.

It's ok to keep it as a background thought for now. Enjoy all that college has to offer. Explore your passions. If you love anything at all aside from teaching, whether it is art, or science, history, anything... you will be able to apply that to your teaching. For a fifth year you can also often to a post-bac, and get your certificate after your BA. When you get to college, find out what the requirements are to be certified in your state. Keep those in mind and get as many as you can in your general studies (you wil need psychology, geography, history, etc.) You can then take the education classes if you still think you want to later. Keep working with kids and get a lot of experience. All of it will help you later.

I love teaching, and am very glad I chose it as a profession. It's hard, but worth it. Also, once you do teach, you may have to shop around for the school that fits you.