Highly qualified

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, Apr 28, 2009.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2009

Okay so a principal emailed me back stating that he could not consider me for employment after reviewing my qualifications. I am thinking of stating somewhere on my resume that I am highly qualified. My questions are should I put this, how should I word it, and where should it go?

thanks!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

I think you start with how you are highly qualified. Does the state of Texas require teachers to file some type of form (HOUSSE i think that is the right acroynm) to verify highly qualified status? Does Texas reconize passing certain test as highly qualified, Praxis II?

So maybe something like this:

Met Highly Qualified status according to Texas Dept of Education requirements - HOUSSE/Praxis II/x numbers of hours in content area/Masters in Education

what do you think?????

4. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2009

We do have to take a certification exam, and I have my certification on my resume under my education. Maybe I could put it under there. Before the district went to the online app, they required a HOUSSE worksheet that showed whether or not you were HQ. The online app doesn't have that.

5. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2009

How's this?

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

I think it looks great- very clear and straight to the point. But I do agree most principals should know if you have done all that your would be highly qualifed :confused:

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 28, 2009

I'd put it on there b-c it is a big deal here in Ohio to be HQT. During one interview they had to send my paperwork to HR to verify my HQT before offering me the position. :D

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 28, 2009

I dont' know how it is in Texas...but we can't get certified in IL without passing the basic skills tests and content area tests that MAKE us HQ.

If that be the case there... could he have meant SOMETHING ELSE? I'm thinking... his OWN standards of what HE thinks is highly qualified for the particular position he has? Because ... wouldn't he KNOW if you were certified that you were HQ?

(Again... I don't know Texas)

Added... please don't take this as a slam. I am positive (and can SEE) that you ARE Highly Qualified! Just trying to come up with ...SOMETHING to explain it!

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

stg- you are very highly qualified. Any school would be lucky to have you. I doubt half of our teachers are that qualified!!

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

STG don't you mean

*Meets Highly Qualified status according to Texas Education Agency/NCLB requirements?

11. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I would ask the principal if he could clarify? I think you clearly state that you are highly qualified.

12. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2009

mego-I can't because his email said not to contact the principal or school regarding the decision.

lemon-thanks that makes better sense!

13. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I don't understand then. Did it say anywhere that you had to have a cert you do not have. I applied for one that said gt highly preferred. I don't have it, but thought I would at least apply, but wouldn't be surprised if I got that response. Could you call the hr department? I would just hate it to be that they overlooked something on your app, or you got put in the wrong stack. Sorry, that it happened, I would be really upset.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 29, 2009

STG- I am assuming you are adding this because it would be reassuring to a P that you are "HQ" according to NCLB standards. I don't think though, that is what he meant when he mentioned your qualifications. I am quite sure it's a form response and maybe he was looking for someone with more experience or something like that.

Also, is reading/SS/english one cert or 3? If they are three, I would list them separately.

15. palla

palla Companion

Apr 29, 2009

I think it is sad that they won't give you more information. I agree that they probably found someone with more experience or something like that. I think the P gave a canned answer and probably didn't even look back at your resume to refresh his memory on the different applicants.

16. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Apr 29, 2009

I recently attended a seminar in Houston for Interviewing/Resumes for teachers...the person conducting the seminars told us to actually state we are Highly Qualified on our resumes. Although the principals/HR should know this many don't. Here's an example of what he told us...
    Listed under Certifications:
    Highly Qualified in EC-4...in accordance with NCLB.
    Passed EC-4 Generalist etc.
    I don't mind sending you some of the forms from the seminar...if you want them send be a PM with and email and I'll try to scan the papers and send them your way.
    Good luck!
    Immediately eligible for probationary certificate in EC-4/ESL (I'm in an ACP program and don't have my full cert.--that's the only reason this is listed for me)

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

huh... I had never thought of placing that on my resume... I'll give it some thought now.

18. smalltowngal

Apr 29, 2009

mego, I haven't thought about calling HR. I'm not sure if I would placed through to a person that would know. They would probably say it is up to the discretion of the principal.

lemon-it is one certification.

19. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2009

I also think it was just a "form" response and that they found someone with more/different experience or someone that they already knew they were going to hire for the position.