Highly Qualified???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by stephanie90102, Aug 14, 2007.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping you can help with this question! I'm filling out a job application right now, and it asks about my "Highly Qualified Status." I know that having graduated recently that I am already considered "Highly Qualified," but this application goes into detail. It lists subjects and asks about how I achieved the "Highly Qualified Status" for each one. Here is my dilemma. I took courses in all of these subjects in college, and I surely can't be "Highly Qualified" to teach all of them just because I took courses. I am on the elementary level. Which do you think I should check off as "Highly Qualified" for on my application? The stars show which ones I felt I should check!

Art
    Civics or Government *
    Economics
    English
    Foreign Language
    Geography *
    History *
    Mathematics *
    Music
    Reading and Language Arts *
    Science *

It's just hard for me to determine how many college credits actually deem the "Highly Qualified" areas of instruction!

Thanks everyone!

Stephanie :)

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

What state are you in?

Here in Florida, it means you are highly qualified only if you have taken the SAE (subject area exam). That's how I'm both elementary education and social studies.

4. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 14, 2007

Here in CO it means you have to have passed the PRAXIS and have your teaching certificate

5. brh

brh New Member

Aug 14, 2007

"Highly Qualified" is determined by each state. You may need to contact your state's department of education. Good luck!

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

In CA, you need to show CSET, RICA and CBEST passing documents to be considered Highly Qualified and NCLB.

7. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I'm in CT, and passed my Praxis and am certified. I know I am "Highly Qualified," but I don't know what to say I'm "Highly Qualified" in! As an elementary teacher, what exactly are you "Highly Qualified" in? It's not going to be art or music... Should I just check off the general subjects that I would teach??

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2007

Do what we do in California: say you're highly qualified in multiple subjects.

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

I live in IL and on the state of IL education website there is a button that says HIGHLY QUALIFIED. It takes you through a series of questions and at the end it will tell you if you are or not. Basically, in our state, you have a teaching degree and a year of teaching. There are other ways, but that is the most basic. Check out your state's website.

10. Xgomenara9

Xgomenara9 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Well, highly qualified in New Jersey means that you have at least 15 credits in a content area. For elementary education, there are certain majors and for middle and high school there are designated majors that you must have.

for example, in social studies you must have fifteen credits of work in any history, political science, geography, or sociology class.

for elementary education, you must have a psychology major or some other related major. Now they are asking people to be highly qualified in a content area rather than psychology. like language arts! you must go on to the state department of ed. site and find out. Email them. Just don't worry.