"Highly Qualified"

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by youmanj, Jul 9, 2010.

1. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

"Highly Qualified"

what does that exactly mean?

I am in constant contact with a school and just the other day, they said that the district is all Title 1 and that I might have to take a test to become "highly qualified"

I head you take a test for this title. Has anyone taken it before, what is it like?

Thanks,
    J

3. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I'm not sure what state you're in...

For me, highly qualified meant that I graduated with a degree in education and passed the GACE for my subjects (early childhood, middle grades math, middle grades science)

4. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I graduated in Michigan, and I'm looking for employment in Texas

I've applied for my 1 year and I'm waiting on that

meanwhile, I've contacted the district and they told me that I might have to take a test to become highly qualified

5. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

From the educational board FAQ site:

"Competence in each core academic subject area in which the teacher teaches" in Texas means at least 24 credit hours in your content area.

To get certified in your area, you have to take and pass your content-area TExES exam.

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

In our state, it means to pass a test in the area in which you are working.

You can be "highly qualified" and not certified. so you would still have to work on your certification after becoming highly qualified.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

Basically it means you have the certification needed for the position you are in. I.E. teaching certificate with an endorsement in English if you wanted to teach high school English.

It's also saying that if you have your teaching degree in jr high Science you can't be a Jr High Math teacher.

I'm curious to know what kind of test they are talking about? Your OP makes it sound like there is a certain test because they are Title I. I teach at a Title I school and there is no "special" test for that type of school. The tests don't come from the school, they are from the state.

8. New Teacher TX

New Teacher TX Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I'm in TX, & I think with the Title I school, because of their funding, everyone has to be highly qualified. All it means in TX is that you have taken & passed the TEXES exam for your content area.

9. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

Call the state boe and ask...that's what I did and was pleased to find out I'm hq in reading and math.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

In the state of Texas it is my understanding that a teacher is not considered highly qualified until they have a clear teaching certificate and are teaching in the grade level(s) specified on their certificate. Since I was granted a one year certificate at first when I came to Texas, I thought I would be considered highly qualified. I was HQ in my previous state. But no, the one year certificate is provisional. You have to have taken the Texas Teaching Tests and/or a teaching exam that is approved by the state board of education. They are very clear and picky about this. Also, most of districts will not hire someone that is not HQ, unless they are sure this person can become HQ before the beginning of the school year. This is easily done by passing the required tests which can get somewhat expensive. Good luck! If you call the Texas State Department of Ed., they will happily explain in detail what you need to do to get your HQ status. Hope you have clear sailing from here! Usually they send a letter explaining that process as well in the mail once they have researched your credentials. Since they did not immediately give you a regular certificate, it might mean that you need to check to see what other (if any) tests you need to take. Usually you can find this online in a matter of seconds at the state department of ed. website as well. I know it can get confusing. I had to call because I could not believe that they did not immediately roll my certificate over to a Texas certificate with my state being a reciprocal state with Texas. Again, wishing you all the best!

11. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

so I will have had to teach in TX in a grade level before I can even be considered HQ?

12. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

In my state (GA), you are only considered highly qualified if you are on a clear, renewable certificate. I am certified in the state, but currently only hold a non-renewable. I am considered fully certified, but not HQ until I convert over to my clear, renewable at the end of the year. I must teach in my field (ECE, P-5) for one year under a mentor teacher to be able to convert.

Good luck!!!

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

It's difficult to get a job teaching in Texas with probationary - unless in spec ed, bilingual, etc.

Have they hired you???

14. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

no...I just received my 1 year Teaching Certifcate from the Dept of Education over the weekend

I just faxed it to the hiring director, so hopefully I hear something from them soon

does accepting applications mean they are still hiring, or is that just something they say instead of, "we are not hiring at this time"?

15. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

I'm thinking that is going to be the case with me also

I want this to happen so bad...it's even to the point that I've started looking at apartments around where I might teach, but I think I might be jinxing myself when I do that

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

In the state of Texas every first year teacher is given a mentor. I had many years of teaching experience and I still had a mentor. I really is a nice thing to have someone that you can ask about the inner workings of the school and the district. Just knowing how to order supplies is a brand new thing when you are new to a district. Good luck! Try to be and stay positive. :)

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

No, you have to teach in a grade level that is specified on your regular teaching certificate. If you are certified K-6, you have to teach in a K-6 classroom. You just cannot randomly teach 10th grade science. Or 7th grade math. Hope that clears up any misconceptions. :)

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 13, 2010

It's one of those terms that I cringe when I hear.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

In FL, HQ means you have a Professional Certificate, have a minimum Bachelor's degree, have a certain # of college credits within the subject (I believe 30 for HS, 18 for MS, and no idea on elem), have passed your 3 exams (including the subject area exam), and are teaching within your subject area.

For example, I'm HQ to teach English, but I don't have my ESOL endorsement. If I do have an ESOL child, I would not be considered HQ to teach that child. They would also be insane to ever put me in a math classroom :lol:

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 13, 2010

It means the same here. I am seeking my ESL endorsement in the near future because Texas has an abundance of ESL students. Having your endorsement is a def bonus. Some districts won't even hire you now if you are not ESL certified in your content area because of our population. My district actually pays for me to get the necessary training and for the test. There are two exams in Texas. They have a pedagogy and then a content exam. I would hate to take both in the same day. My mind was buzzing after taking just one! :dizzy: Good luck!

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

Yes in Texas if you have an ELL and you are not ESL certified, the school must provide a push-in ESL teacher (or pull-out depends on the school). This is an extra cost to the school. So I would say in Texas very important to have ESL certification and the test is easy - basically just good teaching. Our hispanic population is growing fast. In the last 5 years our hispanic population has grow from 20% to over 50% - in 5 years. So in my area (Dallas suburb) it is even more critical.