Highest DRA?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2011

What is the highest DRA level for Kindergarten? What type of books should I get to fill my kinder class library? Right now my third grade library is comprised of junie b jones, cam jansen, a to z mysteries, and an assortment of picture books. I have many chapter books from K-Z but I realize most of those will need to be packed. But where should my cut off be? Should I work towards getting more picture books? I also have a ton of non-fiction of Science and Social Studies... these are all either very easy or at a more difficult area.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 4, 2011

I would work towards getting more easy-readers. I don't know how DRA levels compare with guided reading levels, but my highest reading group is a group of 5 children who are currently reading at a level J/K. My kids that are reading at levels F and higher really enjoy Biscuit books, and any leveled readers with the number 1 in the corner (I get them all from scholastic). They seem to be right at their level.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 11, 2011

I'm sure every district is different, but at my school a Kindergarten must test at a DRA level 3 to be considered on grade level, BUT when they come into first grade in the fall, if they are not a level 6, they are considered below grade level.

That being said...I would stock DRA levels 1 - 6 and a few highers, maybe 8 and 10 for your above grade level readers

5. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Apr 13, 2011

Take a look at Book Wizard. It levels boos by interest level, DRA, guided reading, lexile, and grade level. You can search broad...science books, or narrow...George Washington. bookwizard.scholastic.com

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 15, 2011

Most picture books are at about a 6th grade level.