Higher education is unnecessary for most career paths.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Leatherneck for Life, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Feb 2, 2017

Yes, you read that right. I find college/uni to be an absolute waste of time and money for almost every career path, except specialized fields. Why do we need it? Most jobs that don't require a degree in a particular major (just a bachelor's or higher) train you at work once you get that job. Why do we need to bother with it if we're not planning on becoming anything in any field that requires for example a specialized degree such as medicine, nursing, education, engineering, library work, or any kind of scientific research to name a few?

I believe work establishments like what I'm talking about should seriously reconsider their educational requirements and look at other aspects of the applicants' resumes like work experience. Many high school kids have minimum wage jobs at least part time. An eighteen-year-old out of high school can most certainly work in an office just as well as a twenty-two-year-old with a bachelor's degree in a major that has nothing to do with the functions of the work establishment. As long as the employees do their job properly, do not slack off, and do not act like dumbasses, they could be very competent employees.

If we put trust in our eighteen-year-old to defend our nation in times of war, to keep the streets of our cities safe from criminals, to put out fires, to bring patients on the brink of death to hospitals, and to keep dangerous criminals under control in our state prisons, we can definitely trust them to take phone calls, file papers, write reports, conduct interviews, and all other kinds of office work in a professional manner. You have kids who start out flipping burgers in McDonald's or working as cashiers in Walmart sometimes staying on to become managers, and they had never even set foot inside a community college, let alone a state or private university, and they are getting paid an average salary once they get to those positions.

For most career paths, all college does is give students their first experience with paying debts. Therefore, as I have stated, I think work establishments should really rethink this whole putting college education on a pedestal thing, unless the said establishment is a specialized field that requires that kind of extensive training.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  3. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 3, 2017

I agree! Unless someone needs a degree to do something, there is usually no need. It does train and individual to be disciplined and it also looks good for getting hired on any job. Certificates are very important and are licenses. I think these should be more available in some high schools and children should be educated more so if they think they can't do college they are not a failure. Degrees are NOT for everyone.
    On another note even with us teachers that need degrees... Oh boy!
    Schools charge way and I mean WAY too much for teachers to get degrees with their starting salaries in a lot of states. I mean to get a bachelors degree, do student teaching without any pay (and without being allowed any job at the time), take all of these very hard state tests for content, is too much. Then to land your first job in let's say a low paying state that pays 30,000 for start is pathetic. Even my first year as a teacher I had to study the type of math being taught one week (and how it was suppose to be taught) at a time and prep before I taught it because I didn't learn the certain type in college. Student teaching, classroom management, or educational psychology didn't prepare me for any of what I experienced the first year. And yet we are suppose to pay off loans, have a car, an apartment, and eat a little more than hot dogs and discounted items in the back corner of the grocery. Maybe that's why the teacher shortage is so high in some states right now.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017