High tech?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Chokita, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Anybody use technology in the classroom? I mean things like SmartBoard, MIMIO Interactive, just a projector connected to the computer (or document projector)? How do you use it?

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Nov 8, 2008

I have my teacher computer, and another computer hooked up to a SmartBoard. I usually use the SmartBoard for group lessons. I find it easier to type things on it vs. handwriting on the board. We do some things together every day so I have it on the SmartBoard.

I hope to someday incorporate the great lessons that others have developed but I haven't had the opportunity to search them out. I mainly use mine as a glorified white board.

I also like to show images when they relate to the content, or use it to show movies so it is on the big screen.

4. stepka

stepka Comrade

Nov 8, 2008

Chokita, the easiest way to learn how to use a smartboard is to google "smartboard tutorial." I had to do that when I was subbing and didn't have the faintest idea how to use one--I was so clueless that I almost wrote on the SB with a dry erase marker! Anyway, the tutorial is free and very helpful and now I love using one--they are so handy.

5. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Nov 8, 2008

Right now, I only have a multimedia projector and a laptop. I might get a MIMIO this year. One teacher showed it to me and it was amazing!

6. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Nov 9, 2008

hmmm..and to think I'm still petitioning for a plain old whiteboard...I don't even have a screen in my room for the overhead projector...

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

Hmm, I don't have a screen for my projector either, I just use a white dry erase board. Actually it works really good for me, this way the kids can come to the board, circle or write the answer right on the board with markers (especially my non-verbal and lower-functioning students).
    And I bought the projector with my own money (from craigslist).

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Nov 11, 2008

Smartboard? Heck, we're still using CHALKBOARDS in our rooms. I was elated about a month ago when I found out that there's a way to hook up your laptop to the TV in your room so that kids can view powerpoints or online videos/websites. It's done using a "dongo" or something like that - a short cord from the laptop to the video jack on the TV. I still can't figure out how to hook up the audio though...

9. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

I have a computer hooked up to a document camera that I am able to project webpages. We look at the local and national weather each day and also history channel. com for today in history articles

I am also able to do quick google searches with them when we have a question about a word or item in the article.

i was reading about whoopi goldberg the other day and I thought they would know who she was but I was wrong so I googled her and once they saw her picture a few of them knew her (not all).

I also use a digital camera for all of our outings. I got a grant for a second one this year and now the students rotate who is the photographer each week. We post the pictures to our website so that parents can see what were up to

10. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

I just got a Mimio in my classroom this year and I love it. It's small and portable and you can use your regular whiteboard.

I quoted what you wrote because I use my Mimio in much the same way. The bonus is I can then save what we did to refer to another day, or print it out.

I mostly use the Mimio for whole group lessons, but there is a teacher at my school who uses the Mimio and projectable books from ReadingA-Z for guided reading lessons.

The Mimio is helpful for projecting and manipulating clip art for solving math problems. As a class we've played online learnign games together using the Mimio. There's just something exciting for students being able to hold that special pen, and participation increases.

I just discovered this week how great the Mimio is for KWL charts. I didn't have to worry about running out of room for student responses, I could just click to a new board. When we wrap up our unit, I will cut and paste everything to fit on one page with a blank Learned column, make a copy for each student, and have them complete the chart.

It's a bit of a hassle to set up and put away each day, but it's worth it. I have not yet used the capture feature for Mimio with the digitized markers. I prefer just using the projector because it's like having unlimited whiteboards - I don't have to keep erasing and can call up earlier portions of the lesson if I need to refer back.

11. Justine Cognito

Justine Cognito Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

I am so jealous of all of you!

I only have one whiteboard and it is SO small. It's about 4 feet across and 3 feet tall. AND it's mounted so that the bottom is chest high for me. I have about 2 feet of it that I can actually use. My daughter has one on the wall in her bedroom that is bigger than the one in my classroom.

SOOOOO stupid!! And my school is less than 10 years old. I guess I should be glad it's not a chalkboard!

12. tomas

tomas New Member

Apr 6, 2009

:D Besides all the technological stuff I still love to use the good old chalkboard ;) .

13. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 6, 2009

I can remember when I was 9 years old and received a chalkboard for Christmas for when I played school. It was the coolest thing ever.

There's something about writing on a chalkboard that I still enjoy, but I certainly don't miss the streaks of yellow up and down my clothes at the end of the day! :D