High Scope

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LovetoteachPREK, Apr 11, 2011.

1. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Apr 11, 2011

Hello everyone,

I am in a fairly new program and right now we are loosely using Creative Curriculum. I am considering taking a High Scope course this summer. I am very interested in the Plan Do Review sequence and the other structure of High Scope (small group, large group, etc.)

I was thinking of buying a couple books before taking the course (in particular the Plan Do Review book and the 30 Days of Lesson Plans) but I was hoping to get some feedback on here before shelling out the money - since I really need a lot of materials in my room as well.

Does anyone here use a lot of High Scope? What do you find to be the pros and cons? Any suggestions of where to start?

Thanks so much!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 12, 2011

I see no one has responded to your posting. I have not used High Scope, but think it is similar to Creative Curriculum. Both are used in Head Start, so should be good. I have used CC, and it is good when you learn how to use it.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 12, 2011

I am by no means an expert in High Scope, but I certainly do see the value in it.
    In my preschool, we did small groups for planning- the students would share their plan in their small group and then they would have to go to that center and carry out that plan and finally we would come back to carpet and share our plans- share what we did. It was fabulous. Very child centered and we had freedom to go and study whatever based on student interest and student initiative, which was amazing! The discipline was pretty much redirection- re-direct them and then logical consequences- you spill water, you clean it up. I liked it and I look back on it fondly, but I suppose it could be just who is implementing it and how they are implementing it. The model I saw in my preschool was amazing- incredible teacher. And I think that is what makes all the difference.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 12, 2011

I use High Scope and I like it. It is one of a few researched based curriculum. I like it because it is open ended. You can do themes or long term studies like Reggio with High Scope. The Plan, Do, Review is a good way to keep children actively involved in their daily routine. It is worth checking out.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 15, 2011

I did my student teaching in a High Scope classroom, and it sounds very similar to Creative Curriculum. I really liked High Scope because the lessons were very hands-on and play-based, but it was a little more structured and had a learning focus (versus just letting the kids play).

By the way, it sounds like where you teach is similar to my district's 4K program (which is fairly new and located in the midwest :) ).

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 29, 2011

If you go to the High Scope website, there are some trainings available online, that are reasonably priced (about $90 I think). I have been using High Scope for the past 15 years. They just revamped their Key Developmental Indicators, and they are much better now. They actually correlate with our state standards, which makes them easier to use.