High school was tough...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

...socially-speaking, I mean.

I ran into my best friend from elementary and middle school. He let me know he was hired to be a vice principal at the middle school we attended together (I already knew, though, since it was in the newspaper and in the board meeting agenda/notes).

Anyway, we got to talking about how we didn't enjoy high school. I got good grades and everything, but wasn't Mr. Popularity. I kept to myself (other than socializing with my small group of friends, of course).

College, on the other hand, was amazing. I got involved in different clubs and activities. I truly feel like I blossomed.

Maybe I'm in the minority here? :unsure:

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

you're probably not in the minority. High school was wonderful for me. College was much more subdued. I experienced the opposite of what you did.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2014

Probably not the minority.

But I had a great time in high school, and a great time in college! I would never want to "do it again", but I have great memories and lots of wonderful friends from that time.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2014

I hated high school. I got along much better with upperclassmen. By the time I was a senior, I barely talked to anyone. I was co-op, so that helped separate me, too. I was just way too mature compared to the rest of my class. Partying wasn't my thing.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 23, 2014

I went to two different high schools half way across the country from each other. I enjoyed my grade 12 year, but really didn't like grades 9-11 (or 6-11 for that matter... when my time started at that retched school)...

Having said that, I enjoyed grade 12 comparatively, but missed out on a lot of the grade twelve experience, since I had only been there for a year, and didn't have many friends.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 23, 2014

Elementary school was rough. Junior high was a nightmare. 10th grade almost destroyed me... until my parents moved me to another district to let me take a mulligan and repeat that sophomore year. It was like everyone suddenly decided that I was human. One of the reasons I went into teaching was to ensure I could help as many children as possible through what could be a nightmare adolescence.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2014

I loved high school overall, great experience. I found a nice balance of academics (I was in Advanced class and was an Editor of my high school newspaper) and had a fun social life.

I also loved my college experience. I was in a sorority so I socialized plenty and overall, I had a great four years. Although, if I could, I would go back and change my major/career path.

Now, I really, really loved grad school. Most ideal situation in life. If it was free or I could afford to, I would go back to school for the rest of my life and just learn.

9. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 23, 2014

I was a total nobody in high school. I literally had a teacher ask me my name on the last day of class one year. I had ONE good friend, and a few other friends who would sort of come and go in my life. That girl is still my best friend and I feel so blessed to be able to look back and realize how blesses I was. Several of the "cool kids" are now addicted to drugs, in prison for selling Oxycodone, or worse.

My freshman year of college was terrible. The two girls I made friends with dropped out after Christmas. I met a male who ended up becoming my best "college" friend too, and he TRANSFERRED at the end of the year! It was terrible!

I got a new roommate sophomore year, and that girl and I are also still good friends. I started taking my education classes with a group of 20 students, and I made some life-long relationships with those girls (and one guy.) I met my husband that year as well. Guess what...he ALSO dropped out! (Side note....I wonder what it says about me that almost everyone I was drawn to dropped out or left?) Anyway, that also made a huge difference in my social life.

All in all, I am so happy that everything worked out the way it did. It definitely could have been worse.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

I had no friends in middle school, high school, or college.

11. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 23, 2014

:sorry:

12. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

I was a total band nerd in high school because my parents pressured me but it was a lot of fun, I have a very unique name and was very well known around school for that and it made school fun. In college it was TOO MUCH fun but once I started my education courses I slowed down on that a lot! Overall, school has always been great for me and that's why I wanted to be a teacher.

13. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

9th and 10th grade were pretty terrible. I had a REALLY hard time adjusting and making new friends- we did K-8, so I had always gone to school with the same kids. By 11th grade, I had some new friends (transfers and younger students) so I was pretty happy for 11th and 12th.

14. live

live Companion

Jun 23, 2014

I was so indifferent throughout high school. I didn't hate it; didn't love it.

I generally kept to myself, but I had some good friends, never got sucked into high school drama, and got by as a B/C student that never worked to my potential, but never caused problems either. I was involved in sports, volunteering, and managed to avoid all school lunches and assemblies to hang out with friends at off-campus classes. I was thought of as the quiet, mysterious girl that got along with everyone.

So while it certainly wasn't bad...I didn't necessarily like it either. It was just something I had to do.

I loved college. I feel like that's when I really came alive, especially socially.

15. bora

bora Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

High School was OK. I was very shy and I had only female friends. 3 of my classmates were my childhood friends.
    I loved more college. Made a lot of new friends. Beautiful memories even though the dorm's living conditions were not good at all. I shared a room with 3-4 other girls. We had our good and bad moments but now I miss the fun we all had together. The best years of my life.

16. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

Same here. Honor roll until high school. I started 9th grade in a new state (moved from CA to ID) with zero friends. I was used to being the "new girl" because I had moved a lot before but ID was a tough crowd to break into, especially in high school. I made a few close friends that I still have today, but we were all bad for each other. My grades suffered. Half of them dropped out and lived in a house together. I transferred schools, thus starting 10th grade knowing nobody, and ended up dropping out as well. I graduated from an alternative school with my diploma a few months earlier than had I stayed in public school. I think my whole family figured I would go nowhere. Instead, I enrolled in at a community college. I made a large group of friends and started getting involved in politics and groups. I transferred to an university after a semester (leaving all those friends behind) and eventually graduated summa cum laude. :) Tell my high school teachers that and watch their mouths drop.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2014

I never struggled academically. I didn't really struggle socially either, unless you could being bullied throughout junior high and a little bit in high school.

I had a small circle of close friends. The only thing I enjoyed about that time of my life were my friends. I didn't really enjoy school all that much (except for my favorite teacher, whom I had for 5 years in a row starting in 8th grade). I didn't attend a single sporting event. I attended very few other school activities. I just didn't care about any of it. If I had to go back and do it again, I wouldn't. I have no desire to repeat any part of that time in my life.

In college I pretty much just kept my head down and got to work. I worked three jobs and took the maximum number of credits allowed each term, even summer. I was always super busy. I didn't party or anything like that, and I regret that a bit now. I certainly had fun along the way though, and I did a few things that aren't appropriate for sharing on a public forum like this. All in all, college was an okay experience. If I had to go back and do it again, I would have let loose a lot more.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2014

Not in the minority for me! I hated high school. I was in the crowd that everyone bullied and teased. I used to take a week off every month just because I hated it so much. I got really good grades, but that was the only good thing about high school.

Loved, loved, loved college! I could repeat those years over and over again.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 23, 2014

High school was so-so for me. I had a close group of friends, school was easy, but it wasn't awesome.

College was awesome. Except for the year my dorm roommate would bring home random drunk guys and continue the party in her (bunk) bed ... that.sucked.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

I think part of the reason why I was a bit withdrawn in high school was the fact that I was struggling with my sexuality. Back then, gay kids were harassed and taunted (at my high school, at least), so I was truly petrified of people suspecting anything about me.

I let my hair down in college and was truly able to be myself. I was a much happier person once I was able to accept myself!

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 23, 2014

Sometimes I think people are afraid of "the other". It doesn't always matter how someone is different, just that the difference is there. I love how Eddie Izzard described dealing with his otherness: "Of course, I couldn't tell the kids at school I was a transvestite. They's kill me with sticks. "Why are we killing him with sticks?" "I don't know... he said a word we didn't understand... and he won at Scrabble with it..."

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

I was like you in high school. I was involved with clubs in high school and also in college although I think I enjoyed college more.
    My high school reunion is coming up and I honestly don't know if I'll bother going. I didn't really stay in touch with most of my friends. I see one sporadically around town so I might see if she's going but I'm not totally interested in seeing 95% of my graduating class.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 23, 2014

I had the opposite experience. I enjoyed high school a lot. I certainly wasn't popular, but I had plenty of friends and I wasn't picked on either. Being in the "popular" crowd was not something I ever cared about. I was extremely involved in tons of varied activities, and also enjoyed my classes. My school was relatively small (300 in my graduating class), so the same kids were with with me in the advanced classes year after year and we all got along really well. My senior AP English class was only 8 students, and it was a blast! I also had an after school/summer job my junior and senior year that was a lot of fun too, and I was really close with my coworkers there. I sometimes miss those days when everything was just so easy.

I also had a great time my freshman year of college, but after that not so much. I went to a really small private college, thinking the "small" experience would be as nice as it was in high school. Unfortunately most of the friends I made freshman year didn't come back the next year- they either couldn't handle the academics or left for bigger schools that had a specific major/program they had decided they were interested in. Greek like was HUGE on my campus and I just wasn't into that at all. I was a swimmer in high school, but I definitely wasn't dedicated/competitive enough to be on my college team, where they practiced 6-7 hours a day starting at 4 am! Outside of greek life and sports, there wasn't really anything else to join, so I wasn't involved in anything which was such a stark contrast from high school. I had a few close friends to hang out with, but nothing like I'd had in high school. I haven't really kept in touch with any of them since graduation. I also had a really hard time transitioning from just taking classes, where good grades came easily, to all of my teaching practicums where I was thrown more into the "real world." We did practicums every semester starting freshman year for 9-10 weeks, where we were in charge of teaching and planning at least one subject 4 days per week. I worked with some crazy teachers and a lot of those times were really stressful. I feel that I came out of college much better prepared for teaching than graduates of most other programs, but I feel like I missed out on this great social experience that college is supposed to be.

24. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

I think HS is when I began to truly withdraw socially.

It also coincides with when I was discriminated against due to my disabilities - in ninth grade it was a Spanish teacher, who refused to understand that I needed to use a laptop due to my disabilities, with her fervor coming to a peak near the end of the year, when I was typing what the homework she had assigned was, she walked up to me and told me to "put that thing away now and write down your homework like a normal kid"

I refused, stating that I could not write.

She glared at me, slammed my laptop shut, held it up in the air, and then dropped it on the floor, then turned to me and said "Don't pick it up until the bell rings or i'm writing you up."

A bunch of people went to the principal's office about that after it happened. My parents complained to the Board of Ed and my case manager (who refused to document it). Nothing happened to the teacher - she wasn't even talked to.

Then in eleventh grade, I was discriminated against by the digital photography teacher who was afraid of me because I knew how to use a computer - much of the class entailed simple photoshop touchup work, which took me like 10 minutes to do, leaving me with a lot of time left over, so I would help the other students in the class, which the teacher hated. The teacher would ask me to do the most random things to occupy my time, like shop for a christmas present for her son online, then the next day, she'd scream at me for finishing my work too quickly. Other times, she'd be cutting a mat out for a project for me, then a kid would ask for it, she'd say "NO THIS IS FOR [bros] BECAUSE HIS HANDS DON'T WORK" or she'd ask a kid to cut out an extra one and say something like "CUT OUT AN EXTRA ONE AND GIVE IT TO [bros] BECAUSE HE IS TOO LAZY AND WEAK TO DO IT HIMSELF"

At one point in the year, she claimed I was a psychopath who should be arrested by the FBI because I knew too much about computers.

That statement prompted my case manager to all but call an IEP meeting - me, my parents, my guidance counselor, the teacher in question, and my case manager. Only thing they were missing was a special education teacher.

The teacher was claiming that I was "abusing my disability to get people to do work for me" and tried to claim that I was doing things like "shopping during class" (when she asked me to look up prices of what she wanted to buy her son a Christmas present) and "looking up bad things to do on the computer" (I was googling for a guide for the printer, which she wanted me to see if I could fix it).

She retired two years after that and a more... in-touch teacher took over the class (She only taught the class because it used to be a photography class)

25. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 24, 2014

HS was an okay time for me. I went to your typical NYC urban HS located in a pretty suburban part of Queens. Don't let the location fool you though, the school did not have a suburban feel. Freshman year I had the pleasure of going to school with my older brother and his friends, and while he should have been a senior he was not (bad grades) but he knew everyone. He was that popular guy. It made it hard for me to cause mischief (as in 8th grade I ran with a crowd in JHS who ditched school often and our school never caught on) because I was beginning watched. Plus I'm a pretty quiet person.

I spent much of sophomore and junior year ditching school and running with the upperclassmen. Having a grand old time and somewhat maintaining grades. By the time senior year rolled around 75% of my friends either graduated or dropped out and the other 25% were smart enough to do good and get internships so they weren't in class. So I had to make new friends with people in my grade. It turned out to be fun now that I was actually going to class and had new friendships.

I wouldn't say I was popular but I had friends in many different cliques. I was never bullied or picked on even though I mostly hung out with the "alternative grunge rock" crowd and dressed the part. Ahhh gotta love the late 90s! Which was like 2% of the schools population and we stuck out for sure against the the rest of the school which adopted more of the "urban gangsta" look of the time. There were plenty of fights, gang activity, and fear running rampant in the school but it never affected me and my friends because either people thought we were weird or super chill so we were left alone. I guess it pays to have a variety of friends.

College was different. I went to community college and then a city university. Most of my college friends went to my school but didn't have class with me or worked only at the college summer camp with me. I was not popular within my major because in the end only 36 people were in it my last year and frankly there was cliques within the class and people were super gossipy and competitive once we started student teaching. I met one of my best friends in the program but all the other friendships are now really just contained to Facebook.

However with my outside major friends there was an equal balance. 7 years later these friendships have evolved and expanded and I've met some wonderful people who all know each other and still occasionally hangout in big groups together. I'd say we were all equally popular because in Queens everyone tends to know each other through less than 3 degrees of separation even though it's a big borough.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2014

This makes me sad, bros. do you have friends outside of school with whom you socialize now?

Your stories of what happened in hs are horrific. I don't understand how no real repercussions resulted from the teachers' behaviors.:( did you go to hs with kids you grew up with? We're none of them somewhat kind or empathetic to you when at least these situations arose? I can think of students with disabilities with whom I went to school...I can't remember a situation where teachers were anything but empathetic and helpful to those with challenges (And I went to school before the ADA act and educators were not as highly aware or trained to work with students of different needs) and its so sad that you weren't supported by your classmates in ways that might behave been small gestures of friendship and compassion. :hugs: hugs, bros.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember one year our yearbook was dedicated to a graduating student with severe disabilities.:love:

27. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 24, 2014

JH and HS were connected for me, so I attended the same building with the same small group of peers from 7-9 grade. 7-8 were slightly better, and 9th started like a dream. So many signatures in my yearbook, people talking with me, etc. Until my supposed best friend spread a very malicious rumor about me (sexual harassment) and the small rural school turned on me in a heartbeat. Even upperclassmen (football players) would purposely drop pornography in front of me, or question me. It was truly horrific and I couldn't wait to leave. I felt like I had no friends, and if I had any, they became the next victim in the harassment. I left for a Christian school in 10th, which was amazing but my parents couldn't afford to send me there more than one year. I went to the vocational school for 11-12, which was much better. I had a social group that encouraged me. College was ok. I joined a sorority later in college, which was great. My regret is not doing it sooner, and not living in the dorms. My sisters are my greatest friends now, and several of us take a yearly vacation with all our families.

I excelled academically, but was totally withdrawn socially. I still am thanks to that awful year in HS. My school was really small, with 95 students in my graduating class. EVERYONE knew your business, good or bad. However, like others have mentioned, my peers from HS have had some major life experiences along the way that I do not have. Partying was never my style, so I have been spared some of the ravages of a drug or alcohol impacted life.

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 24, 2014

I'm sorry, bros! :hugs: I can't imagine.....

I was pretty withdrawn socially in MS and HS. I just wanted to read all day. I struggled a lot in Math and Science, but nobody really noticed cause I was that good kid that wasn't going to cause any trouble. I didn't really make friends or blossom until college.

29. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 24, 2014

Had no fun in high school. College was so much better. Not even a comparison.

30. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 24, 2014

I loved high school. I hung out with different groups and had a blast. My four very best friends are from high school (we're now 30).

I enjoyed college and had a small group of close girlfriends in my program. I started dating my (now) husband at the end of my freshmen year, so I was more settled than I otherwise would have been.

31. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

No, I do not have friends now. Before MS/HS, I was bulled by kids on my street - they would beat me up daily when I would go outside to play. That led to me staying inside almost all the time after like five years of being beat up. Made me lose the one friend I had, who I was already starting to become distant from due to a mix of immaturity from ADHD/disability and lack of social acumen.

I went K-12 with the kids I grew up with - my cousin was even in my 9th grade spanish class. My grandfather died when I was in 9th grade. My cousin and I told the spanish teacher that we would be out for a few days for the wake and other gatherings - she laughed at us.

Though I would say that the 11th grade teacher was a tiny bit worse - when I had a seizure that resulted in a loss of consciousness in school, the school was trying to convince my parents to make me take my finals over the summer in the non-air conditioned school with the nurse who insisted I didn't have a seizure, but I was just tired and needed to drink some water and eat a cracker (her solution to everything). My neurologist quickly told the school that would not be happening - unless they paid for a private nurse to attend to me throughout all of the finals in case I had a seizure. The district didn't want to do that, or sour their relationship with my neurologist, so they asked the principal and guidance counselor to get my teachers to exempt me from the finals (which was normally something that only happened for Seniors). Most of my teachers agreed immediately and told my parents they hoped I recovered soon (I went in to school like two days after the seizure for a half day and every one of my teachers saw what horrible shape I was in - one of my teachers even gave me a pillow and told me to just rest my head on a desk in the back of the room). Except the digital photography teacher, who refused to exempt me and kept insisting I would have to either make up the final, or write a 3000 page paper on some photographer and his influence on photography. Eventually, my neighbor on the BoE got the super involved, who got that teacher to relent.

Almost every student in the district I grew up in was kind and empathetic to students with disabilities - from the minor disabilities to the ones with the major disabilities. The district employs or has a lot of the former disabled students as volunteers. Some are volunteer coaches for the HS sports teams (one does wrestling, and a bunch assist with Special Olympics). Some are custodians in the elementary schools and others are volunteer teacher's aides.

When the events occurred throughout my 9th and 11th grade years, students would always be like "I can't believe she treated you like that!" or "I can't believe she said that to you!"

My IEP case manager was the big problem - she didn't bother looking at my IEP to see what my disabilities were. One day, she asked me if I needed to eat something because I have diabetes (I don't, and asking that in the middle of the hallway full of students if I did would be violating confidentiality). Another time, she was giving me the WJ-III after me not getting any form of psychoeducational testing for 10 years and she read it to me like she thought I had a low IQ.

My IEP case manager finally retired a year or two ago due to disability.

At least she wasn't as bad as my adaptive PE teacher - I had a 30 page IEP in high school. About 10 pages were devoted to goals. All of the goals were what the adaptive PE teacher had to work on.

My Adaptive PE teacher never worked on a single one of the goals in any of our IEPs and he insisted on having us participate in every activity the regular gym classes did even when it would be more beneficial to us to be doing something else - just because he wanted to talk to his friends, the other gym teachers. He'd lie to us and get the other students (ones with Down Syndrome and other similar conditions) excited about things he knew he would never do - and I knew he would never do, because that is how he acted. My Adaptive PE teacher never even looked at my IEP once during my 4 years of high school. Every other teacher I had looked at it at least once.

Not him.

I struggled a lot in math and science - and during high school, my ADHD began to manifest in ways I noticed - I didn't even know I had ADHD until I was 15. My mom said they didn't tell me because they didn't want me to have another label. My dad said they didn't want to tell me because he didn't want me to "use it as an excuse to do stuff." He later said it was because he thought it had gone away, because I wasn't hyper anymore.

I was so bad at Math, that I was almost retained in 8th grade because of the GEPA - Grade Eight Proficiency Assessment - where I scored a failing grade in Math. Instead, the IEP team decided to allow me to go on to HS. My parents insisted I had to take math all four years of HS, instead of just three like was required. Chemistry was really difficult for me - I still don't get stoichiometry to this day.

I was the quiet kid that everyone liked, and if anyone had an issue with their computer, even teachers - they would ask me to help fix it. One time, I accidentally discovered a vulnerability in a school network while bored and one of my teachers asked me to write out how I discovered it because the district tech guys told him that "some kid in the HS found a vulnerability" and he automatically assumed it was me :p

32. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 24, 2014

I don't want to divert the thread too much, but how's it going for you now bros? Have you had any interviews or anything for next year?

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2014

Are you comfortable as an adult without friends, bros? If not, what steps could you take to make some? Have you thought about joining a Meetup group or something like that?

34. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 24, 2014

I loved both. I had lots of activities in high school and took the most advanced classes my school offered in high school. In college, I had two to three part time jobs so I could mostly pay my way through. My parents helped out where they could, but I had to pay for 90+% of my expenses. Since I worked so many hours, and was determined to make the dean's list each semester (didn't once- that was horrible), I didn't do the party side of college but still managed to have fun. I still have close friends from high school and college.

35. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

No interviews.

Going to be called for an interview to sub sometime next month according to the person i've been talking to - they had some issues with the county or state or something that prevented them from approving people as subs.

I haven't had friends in so long I am stuck in the routine of having none. I sit around the house all day. I leave the house two days a week. One day to go to therapy, and usually once a weekend i'll go with my father to Costco.

I wouldn't have any way to get to a meetup group or something like that. I can't walk that far either.

I recognize that it is peculiar that I do not have friends, though.

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2014

It's okay to not have a ton of friends. It might feel better, though, to have at least one.

Do you have any online friends (aside from the people at A to Z)? I've been playing around online for almost 20 years, and I have a handful of online friends that I started talking to waaaay back in the day. A few of them I've never even met in person, even after all this time. They're special to me, though, and their friendships matter to me. Do you have anyone like that in your life?

37. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 24, 2014

Taxi. It isn't as if it would be an every day thing.

Also, trying to develop friendships will also help your social skills which are critical when working with students and parents.

38. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

I participate in a few online communities. The earliest one I participated in dissolved around 2007-2008. I administrate a forum community that I helped develop in 2007, but most of the remaining users loathe me due to one user spreading lies about me over the years, so I have withdrawn significantly from that community in the past few years, just doing basic maintenance and making sure their stuff stays up. I've been a member of a special education advocacy forum since 2008, but not really any friends on there. Then there's another site with ~26000 users, around 3-5k active a day, i've been on that one since it founded in 2004 and while i'm a known quantity there, I don't really know many people there - there is a group I play some games with, but one sometimes. It's rather fluid.

A social skills group for people with ASD has been recommended to me, but there are none in my area for adults. Closest one is over an hour away from what I have found.

39. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 24, 2014

I did NOT say a social skills group. I was going along the lines of others who said find a group with similar interests and by getting together with them via taxi, you will be able to work on social skills.

In my area there are websites to find groups. Some play board games, some go out to dinners, some go hiking, some play video games, some are mom's groups, some like to cook, etc. I think it is called Friends Meetup and is a website that helps people find other people. You enter your zip code and it shows groups that are close. It lists the events. You have to request to join the group (some groups are full and will say so). It also tells you the area the events will be held. Heck, some groups do international travel together.

40. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

This is great advice!

Side note: The people skills I learned from working at a bank throughout my five years in college have helped me tremendously as a teacher and administrator!

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2014

Ditto all of the above. You don't know what you're missing, bros.
    Don't sit home letting life pass you by. Life IS NOT high school.

Just a few ideas:

Check your local library for book clubs, monthly movies, etc
    Check your community paper for summer concerts, festivals, etc
    Meetup is a possible site to check
    Adult Ed classes...you could find one or teach one! (a tech class for beginners, a how to Twitter class...?)
    Get involved with your college alumni association

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.