High School vs. Middle School?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hopscotch, Aug 12, 2008.

1. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

OK ok ok, so I've been hoping for a middle school science position. Well, I just spoke with a local high school magnet program, and they REALLY REALLY want to interview me NOW. Their chemistry teacher resigned because she had a baby and decided to teach internet classes from home. Classes start Monday.
    Well, I have chemistry certification and my undergrad was in chemistry. The focus of this magnet program is hands-on, artistic programming. I taught art for almost two years in a nonprofit program for adults. Sounds like a good match, huh? It's the subject I want, with an artistic twist, but it's HIGH SCHOOL. I talked myself out of high school a while ago, and now I feel like I'm talking myself into it again. I feel a stronger connection to middle school aged kids, but I wouldn't say I'm a foreigner to high schoolers, really.
    And it's a JOB at an excellent school. Geez, the answer is sort of staring at me. What do y'all think?
    Heh, I said "y'all":p

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

Go for it! :) :) It sounds like you'll be great at it!

The job I had now, is one I applied for on an "eh, what the heck" whim. I'm glad I did! So go, fight, win! :D

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2008

sounds like a perfect fit for you. Go for it, knock their socks off. You may love it and wonder why you ever questionned yourself. At the very least it's a resume builder.

5. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

this is the opportunity that you have been waiting for! I know, its high school and not what you expected, but its the subject you want to teach and it has a little art twist to it. I say go for it!!!! I believe that you will fall in love and laugh about not wanting to take it in a few months.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2008

You never know..you might go in there and LOVE high schoolers, but if you don't at least try for it you may question "what if" for a long time. GO 4 IT!!

7. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Oh thank you thank you everybody! I've talked to my teacher pals IRL and they are saying the same things...I'm looking at the teacher profiles at this school and I think I would get along with everybody in my department!
    Now, if only I could look about 10 years older and 5 inches taller by tomorrow. Ha!

oh, and another question! I have a lesson plan from a demo lesson I did for another job interview. Would it be tacky to bring that in, even though it's my only "formal" lesson plan?

8. smalltowngal

Aug 12, 2008

I don't think that would be a problem to use that lesson plan. Good luck!

9. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Definitely go for it!! If you wind up not liking hs, you can always apply for a new job next year. Best of luck!!!

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 12, 2008

go for it! Remember you can always transfer next year. It sounds tailor made for you :)

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2008

Try it! I have always wanted to teach elementary, but was offered a middle school math position, so I took it. Like MATgrad said, you can always transfer or look for another job next year if you end up not liking the job. Good luck!

12. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Oh wow. They offered me the job on the spot. It still has to clear the district and everything, which may take a week or so, but everyone was sooo nice and welcoming and fun! I felt at home immediately. I'm so glad that I went!!!
    Now the roller coaster begins! WOOHOO!

13. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2008

Congrats, hopscotch!!!! I'm glad you went.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

Congratulations, that's great news!