High School vs. Elementary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 24, 2007.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Do you ever wish you had prepared for high school teaching instead of elementary?
    Or vice versa?
    I originally wanted to teach high school English until I met with my academic advisor who gave me a list of the required classes and I saw all that classic literature!!! UGH!! I never even liked it when I was in high school!! I decided on elementary ed that day!! Sometimes I wish I taught a single suject to kids who have a lot to gain from doing well, like graduating!! Sometimes the elementary students just don't see the reason for all this school stuff yet!! :confused:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

Not even for a second!

I don't have the patience for working with little kids (and I commend all of you who do). Plus, I really, really love my subject!

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Yes, I actually wanted to be a HS math teacher because I always loved math. I definitely made the right choice though because math is now my least favorite to teach! I'm considering getting a second certification in secondary English because I have enough credits.

5. WindyCityGal606

Jul 24, 2007

But then you'll have to read and talk about YAWNNNNNN...classic literature!! :woot: To this day I cannot make myself enjoy it!! Why? I am not a shallow person! It's all the decriptive words that just make me nod off!! I lose my train of thought when an author takes to long to say something. I love novels full of dialogue between characters written in the first person. Third person writing and overly descriptive writing make me CRAZY!!! Is that bad since I am a teacher afterall? I completely fake it for the kids. They can NEVER know!! LOL

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

When I read all of the posts about the elementary teachers setting up their classrooms, and making their little job charts, it makes me kinda wish for that.

But then one of them would pee or throw up on me, and I'd be fired.

7. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Haha! On second thought..............:crosseyed

8. WindyCityGal606

Jul 24, 2007

Now now....don't let my closed mind keep you from pursuing your lif goals!!:lol:

9. WindyCityGal606

Jul 24, 2007

You would hurt a peeing, puking kid? MONSTOR!! :lol: Wait...I mean MONSTER!!!

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

I know, Zoe! I'm evil. That's why I have to teach the "alternative" kids! LOL!

Seriously, I have so much respect for the elementary teachers. I just don't think I'd have the patience.

11. WindyCityGal606

Jul 24, 2007

I have to practice my dealing with younger kids words. I've been teaching junior high for a few years so I could always get away with "Knock it off!'" or "Tell it to someone who cares" or "Do I look like your doctor?" jokes/commetns to get them back in order.
    Yeah, can't do that with the 4th graders! The first time I hear "She doesn't want to be my friend!!" I want to make sure I don't reply with "Oh, get over it!" LOL
    That would not be cool. You do definitely have to be more careful of how you say things with younger kids because they tend to take things literally and they go home and repeat verbatim what the teacher says in class!! Things can get very lost and screwed up in translation!!:lol:

12. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I would never ever no way in the world switch to elementary!

I love the "big kids" and having intellectual conversations, guiding them to college, them asking neat questions that I can google, etc.

I know elementary is not all fun or bad, but I envision kids screaming and crying, holding on to my legs, puking, peeing, worse, fighting, petty parents, child abuse questions, and all the others. I give a big "AMEN" to those of you who do it! But leave me with the big kids :)

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

The reason I would want to switch to HS is to teach drama and English. I love both, and like what I can do with kids, but wish I could do more. I would love to do more complex plays, and read more complex books. I love teaching the age I have, and don't imagine switching, but sometimes read a novel, or see a play, and think, "I wish I could do that with my class!"

I only would need about 8 credits to have a HS cert... but I would have to also do the internship, which wouldn't be possible since I teach full time.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

I have thought about teaching middle or high school, and may still get my certification for that. I figured that the high school students would have too much attitude for my personality type, and I have seen what happens when a couple of football players decide to fight! I think I'll stay with elementary for a little while.

15. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I constantly contemplate switching to middle school. I worked as an assistant in 8th grade before finishing school and loved it. I think that being able to dig deeper into topics (Lang. Arts) is very appealing to me. I have had trouble so far in my first couple of years...the 5th grade age has been too much for me to handle at my particular school. I am switching to 3rd, but constantly wonder if moving down is what I should be doing. I am hoping that the upcoming school year is going to change my outlook on elementary teaching!!

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

I knew right from the start that I'm very much NOT a little kid person. I love English . . . especially that boring classic literature. I have a BA in secondary English teaching and an MA in American and British literature.

I did sub for one year, and I'd occassionally take an elementary job, which only made me more determined NOT to teach elementary.

I taught two years of high school, which I really did enjoy. Then I moved to the middle school to teach reading and language arts. The kids were a LOT different, but I have really grown to love teaching that level, and I still get to teach English!

Now, 6th graders still make me nervous. I've taken one class of them twice, and I might have a group this year. They are just so different from 7th graders!

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

I have degrees in Elementary Education 1-6 and Vocal Music Education K-12. I did my student teaching in a junior high and high school music class, and then a regular 2nd grade class. I loved the kids in the music program so much that I didn't want to do my 2nd grade student teaching. I actually even liked the junior high kids more than the high school kids, although I liked both of them. Then I got to 2nd grade, and I ended up loving them too. I think I would be happy with whatever I taught-I like all kids!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

I prefer elem kids....I guess I would rather they look up at me than me looking up at them...I'm a little bit height challenged. Actually, I had a choice when I moved from Gen Ed to SPED. I chose to continue in elem because I hoped to make enough of a difference in their education while they were younger so that by the time they reached High School they may not be quite as far behind.

19. nsatterfield

nsatterfield Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

In high school I thought I wanted to be an elementary teacher. I went to work in an accounting office for 13 years and decided that I had to teach. I went back to college, first as an elementary major. Chasing a toddler at home, I decided I could not spend the rest of my life wiping noses and taking kids to pee. I quickly changed my major to middle grades (5-8).

I wouldn't trade my 7th graders for anything. I love them!

20. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

Occasionally I'd wonder if elementary was a better fit...but then I subbed a half day in Kindergarten and said, "No way"!!!:lol:
    I am not a fan of tattling and monitoring the pencil sharpener.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

I've taught middle school, high school, upper elementary and first grade (in that order). All regular ed, classroom teaching. At the middle school I taught English and history. At the high school I taught social science and of course the elementary grades were all self contained.

So I think I can speak from experience.

Basically, the difference is that with older kids, you get really mad once or twice a week. With the little ones, you are mildly annoyed every 30 seconds.

22. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

My B.A. is in English & Secondary Ed. I thought I would get to teach all the classics I loved so much. Three months of subbing in HS made me understand it was NOT for me. So I went back & got my M.A. in ECE, and I've since been with 0-3, Pre-K, 1st, 3rd, K, (in that order), and now I'm back with 0-3. Definitely my favorite. I never ever ever think of switching to HS. College--that's a different story. But not HS.

23. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I am currently completing an elem. ed program right now. I started out 7-12 history, switched to 4-8, and now I am k-6. I am trying to make myself as marketable as I can, and in my area we need elementary teachers the most (other than secondary math, science, and special ed, none of which I want to teach). We are also military (which means traveling and relocating), and the requirements for that middle school degree changes too much from state to state. Some states require 1 cognate area w/ 24 credit hrs, some states require 2 cognates w/ 18 cr. hrs. each, some states don't even have middle school programs, yada yada yada.
    I still plan on getting that secondary certification to teach 7-12 history. In TN you just have to have your initial license 2 weeks before you can challenge any other praxis. I am assuming that if I pass the history praxis I will still be "highly qualified" to teach secondary history even if I don't have the history degree???
    I would like to either teach upper elementary or middle school social studies. I am doing clinical hours in high school now, and I don't think high schoolers are a fit for me...
    I am still going to talk to an advisor about finishing that history degree after I complete my elementary ed because I was only 5 classes away from completing the major section, and the minor section of the degree is the same.

I am also considering getting my masters in a subject area so that community college would be an option...

24. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I don't know, I remember another teacher on this forum (I can't remember who right now...)that had middle or high schoolers thowing, eww, sperm on each other. :eek:

25. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

Nope. I'm scared to even walk in a high school let alone teach those HUGE kids!

Kelly :)

26. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

n

When I read this I couldn't help but think about something that happened to me last year! My first graders were constantly comig up to me saying "My leg hurts" or "My arm hurts" (obviously nothing wrong) and some of the kids who were more mature would get the response from me "Do I look like a doctor?!" My kid with autism (all the way across the room) says with enthusiasm "No, Mrs Patten, you're a teacher!"

But along the lines of the original post. One of my student teaching placements was in 7th grade english and I hated it! That was when I realized I needed to stick to elementary!

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

Oh, GAG! I haven't seen that, but on the last day of school at my old school, the kids filled water guns with urine and attacked each other. :eek:

28. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Teachers should get hazardous duty pay!

29. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Teaching English/Language Arts is not all about classic literature--there are soooo many things to cover that classic lit. is a small part. In fact, some schools will offer just a classic lit., class, or short story class, etc., and usually teachers (in my experience) will choose which ones they want to teach. I tend to stay away from the nothing but poetry class. Just because I love English, :reading: doesn't mean I love every aspect of it. Now Math --YUCK! I hate every aspect of that subject and I have the utmost respect for anybody who can teach math and teach it well! I think it is the hardest subject to grasp.:clap:

30. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Personally, one of the things I will miss as an elementary teacher will be the fabulous discussions you can get into with older students about literature! It works that way in history & all social studies classes, too.

31. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

True--we do have some great discussions. Their minds are very active during high school; I have a blast with them. I think there are many advantages to being an elementary teacher also. I guess you can say that there are positives and negatives to both.

32. ShellBeWoo1970

ShellBeWoo1970 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

No way, early childhood all the way! I don't think I would know what to say to a teenager, lol! I'll take the puking any day over teen angst society!! LOL!

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Very true! A couple of the MAJOR pros for those teaching in elementary are that the hormone levels tend to be MUCH less active, and (possibly related?) the attitudes haven't been set in stone yet, LOL!

34. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Possibly the hormone issue doesn't bother me because I live with it at home! I have 2 boys 20 & 16. I don't think I could stand living with a hormonal daughter. By the end of the day, I'm glad they are going to their houses and I'm going to mine! You are correct when you mention teenage angst, not to mention drugs, teenage pregnancy, fights, etc.--but I love this age. You can just see the struggle to become adults, yet they still want to be kids when that suits them, too. It is also heartbreaking knowing the homelife situation for many of the kids. If I had todeal with little kids coming from those home situations, I would be crying all day.