High School to Middle School

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by kan3288, Jan 17, 2015.

1. kan3288

kan3288 Rookie

Jan 17, 2015

This is my first year teaching, and I am a math teacher at a high school. I am debating whether or not I want to stay at the high school level. I student taught at a middle school (7th and 8th grade). I love my job, and I love math, but sometimes I miss the middle school level. Some reasons I may want to switch to middle school:
    -I feel like I am more of a kid at heart, and I love that the younger students still have that "kid" side in them.
    -I feel like there is less pressure for teachers at the middle school level. High school is a critical time for students, and all that administrators care about are grades and test scores.
    -I believe that at the middle school level you can still make a difference about how students feel about math. Once students get to high school, they are pretty set on what they like/don't like and most of those students who hated math in middle school continue to hate math and, at this point, don't put any effort into learning the material. (I teach a class of seniors, and of course, they definitely fit this model)
    -I want to do more "fun" activities, and I feel like high school students are past that stage. We do some cool activities in class, but I love doing the more kid-friendly crafty stuff too.

It's hard because I really enjoy the more complex subjects in math at the high school level, but, at the same time, I feel like I can relate better to younger students. I felt more appreciated by my middle school students, and they seemed to want to get to know me more than the high schoolers. I know the one major difference in middle school is the discipline issues (which luckily I don't have too much right now with high school), so that would be the one negative thing about going back.

Has anyone felt the same as me, or have any suggestions? It seems like more teachers go from middle school to high school rather than the other way around.

3. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jan 17, 2015

I like middle school. While I have never taught high school, I would not want the grade pressure of class rank, etc. Maybe you should give it a try? I guess you could always go back. I think middle school is great... where I am, anyway. Good luck!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 17, 2015

I moved from the high school to the middle school full time in 1996. I don't regret it. The middle school seems better suited to my personality, which is surprising because I had NO experience with middle school before I statred teaching there. Everyone also said I was crazy.

As far as pressure, we are under a lot of testing pressure. And we are trying to get kids on grade level before they go to the high school when we are getting them several grade levels behind.

5. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jan 17, 2015

I think there are test pressures at every level!

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 21, 2015

I love middle school. I had high schoolers in my homeroom once and I hated it with a passion lol.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2015

I loved MS. Although at HS now, I had envisioned getting a job in MS. Sometimes you end up where the job is, but given a choice, I would go back to MS in a heartbeat.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2015

I have a full degree in mathematics, and elem. ed. cert and then a mathematics endorsement, which could allow me to teach math at any grade level. While I love teaching and working with the higher concepts that students would get to in middle and high school, I made my choice to work at the elementary level for a mix of professional (i.e. being able to get in at the "ground floor" in terms of their math skills) and personal (i.e. not having the right confidence to "survive" at the middle school level / not feeling as comfortable teaching them vs. teaching students in upper intermediate) reasons. How I finally made that choice was understanding that I needed to focus less on the concepts I wanted to teach, and more-so on the environment in which I would feel most comfortable and thus be most successful in. Your knowledge of higher level concepts could still come into play through developing a math club/team, and providing extensions to those who excel in your math classes at a middle school level. Go for it!

9. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jan 22, 2015

I taught high school history and hated it. I started subbing in middle school and I fell in love. I don't think I will go back to high school -- not for a long time at least. I feel the same way that you do about activities and crafts and being a "young" soul.

Middle schoolers deserve tough, smart teachers just as much as high schoolers. =)

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 22, 2015

Speaking as a sub (and not certified in HS or MS, but oh well. XD)... I have found that I LOVE MS. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do because middle schoolers are a little crazy, but they're just so much fun.
    HS is... exhausting. I don't know why, but it just wears. me. out. Half a day of HS is more tiring for me than a full day of elementary. I don't enjoy it, even on the rare chance I actually get to teach something (because most HS teachers just leave worksheets for subs here....). Plus I look like a high schooler, so it's just hard for me to feel like I'm actually in charge.

I think MS kids need teachers who love that age. So many of the teachers I've seen in the middle schools here are kinda rude to the students, and it makes me sad because they're mostly really sweet kids. They're still only 11-13, and it's a weird age, but they're also really entertaining and hilarious.

11. Hurricane J

Hurricane J Rookie

Jan 24, 2015

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I am tired of the SAME exact thing you are! Off to middle school I go. Two years in Biology in SC is enough for me. Preparing for the EOC and determining my quality as a teacher off those scores are exhausting and the students are too disrespectful. I coached MS football and the kids were fun, listened, and respectful. Adios HS.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2015

I also went from HS to MS. I thought I'd always stay in HS but I was sort of forced into MS and now I love it. The content is still pretty interesting and the kids are so fun. You also don't quite have "adult" problems yet in MS. No pregnant kids, no kids with kids, no kids in jail, etc. It's great!

With that being said, I would definitely move back to HS. I loved it there, too.

13. kan3288

kan3288 Rookie

Jan 26, 2015

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to hear that others have fealt the same way. We will see where my job hunt takes me.