High School Special Ed vs Elementary Special Ed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by fedfanforever11, Feb 22, 2011.

1. fedfanforever11

fedfanforever11 Rookie

Feb 22, 2011

I'm a high school junior and I know I want to be a special ed teacher. I'm looking at colleges and everything, so I need to find a college that has special ed. Some colleges only have K-6 special ed while a few have K-12. I was wondering which one is "better" to teach? I know I don't want to work with the severe population. Also, would I need to major in special ed and math or something like that, or only special ed? I asked my counselor, but he's not too helpful. Also, in high school spec. ed do you only teach the same class for the whole day, or different periods like a normal high school teacher? And which subjects to high school special ed teachers teach-like is there special ed science? Thanks!

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Feb 22, 2011

I am not a SPED teacher, but wanted to offer a few points:

1. You are very smart for doing your research so early and seeking answers to these important questions. Way to go! More people should do this before they get to college.

2. I would definitely apply to colleges that have the K-12 certification program. This will make you more marketable. You can use your college years and internships to further explore what grade levels you want to teach and don't have to decide right away. You will be prepared for multiple levels, which means it will be easier for you to get a job because you will be certified to teach multiple things.

3. If you have a strong interest in a subject (literature, history, math, or science) AND can fit in the classes without having to spend extra time in college, I think it would be smart to double major or minor in one of these areas, to improve your content knowledge if you do end up teaching high school. It can also give you options if teaching jobs are hard to find upon graduation. Luckily for you, special ed is a high need position in many areas.

Best of luck to you!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2011

It really depends on your state. Each state is a little different. You can call your local certification office to talk with them or ask to speak with a guidance counselor at the different colleges.

I agree about applying to a K-12 program as this will make you more marketable.

Now, each school is different. Some schools have a special education teacher who only teaches special education or co-taught math all day. Other schools have their special education teachers teach multiple subjects. Some schools have their special education teacher teach in a classroom with the same students all day. Again, this varies by district and school...so you will see many different models.

As for extra coursework, that varies by state. In my state, our special education teachers must pass the same exams as the elementary teachers for a K-6 position. I'm not sure how the high school works as I don't teach there, but I would think it is similar. Some states want a double major. This is something a guidance counselor can answer.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2011

If your guidance counselor is not too helpful, I would go right ahead and call or e mail the education departments of the colleges you're looking into. Like Mopar said every state is different and they'll be able to give you the kind of information you're looking for. I do know that in Ohio, most high school sped job postings I saw wanted you to also be highly qualified in a certian subject (math, etc.) as well as sped. For elementary, you would have to take the elementary content knowledge test. Many high schools have the sped teachers teacing lower levels of regular classes (math, reading, science, etc.) You may be co teaching or have your own class. I'm in elementary and I do a pull out program where I teach small groups of kids all day in math, reading, and writing. Other teachers are in inclusion programs where they don't get to teach their own lessons. If you speak to someone at the college, they should be more well informed about what kind of programs (pull out, inclusion, etc.) are more prominent in the area you're looking into.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 22, 2011

It depends on the state

The college I go to, Kean University (Located in NJ, about 30 minutes from NYC), has special education degrees offered P-3, K-5, K-5/5-8, and K-12

For K-12, you have to take more classes and you have to take.. four praxis tests I believe (Elementary, Middle, Secondary, and content area)

For K-5, you need to take one praxis exam (Elementary)