High School Resource Math Acitivies

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Teach36, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

Hi! I'm teaching students in 10th and 11th grade, high school PC (Resource) Math. The Resource curriculum must follow the Regular Education curriculum. I am asking for help -- activites to use for a full room of students of all different level abilities (2nd through 6th). Activities such as those that help to develop "math logic" would be great. The larger classes are particularly "active" and sociable. Does anybody have suggestions? I have been teaching SPED for 10 years in different capacities. It seems the learners need to be actively involved. I'm at a loss as to how to incorporate this idea into math. These students are definitely concrete thinkers (material learned needs to relate to everyday life); the students still will need to understand non-concrete ideas such as Pythagorean Theorem and quadratic equations, as well as variables,etc. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

Hi and welcome!

Take a look at www.edhelper.com While it is a subscription site, there are lots of freebies. Personally, though I'm biased, I think it's well worth the price of a subscription.

4. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

Thanks, AliceAcc!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011

7. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

Thanks, again, Aliceacc! I got lost in all of the great info!

8. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

This sounds really good, Waterfall Lady! Hands-on anything is definitely what I need, I think, to teach equations. Do you think an abacus accomplishes anything, as far as place value understanding? I made myself a "human scale" (like a balance) and showed the students five round disks on one side and three one the other -- how many do I need to be balanced? That seemed to work except when they said the answer I told them "OK that's your answer, that's "x"!" They still looked puzzled and I knew this idea needed more clarification!

9. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

Google mathlearnnc and look through their activity section. It's my favorite site ever.

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011

I have found that no matter what I do, my kids are still always confused by place value. There are really good virtual manipulatives that can be found by Googling "virtual math manipulatives." They also have balances you can use to teach that in equations.

11. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Thanks again Waterfall lady. I will google that and see the great ideas~

12. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Thanks, ciounoi, I am going to give that a try!