High School Resource Class-communication with parents?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by missjessica, Aug 11, 2011.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Hi everyone,
    I will be teaching a high school Learning Skills class in an area where parents are very involved.
    I know a lot of teachers of younger students send home an introduction/welcome letter to parents. Do you think it's appropriate to do this with the parents of high schoolers?
    Or do you think it's more appropriate to just add a page to my syllabus that requires parents to sign it? I feel like some parents just sign the syllabi without even reading them. I feel like a mailed letter home would work better.
    Also...one more question: Would it be appropriate to add a line about how I want students to actively participate in the creation of their IEP goals? I'm a first year teacher so I am so lost and confused. I'm writing my syllabus right now and just have no idea how to envision a class since I've never taught before and never worked in a high school!

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

It is not only appropriate to send home a welcome/introduction letter, but an integral part of getting off to a great start.

A lot of parents won't read it, but some will, and the letter will kick your relationship with them off to a positive start.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 11, 2011

You could certainly send home an introduction letter to parents. I teach high school, self-contained, and doing this is appropriate. YES!!!! on adding in the letter that you want students to participate in creating their goals. They know what their IEP is and what it is for at this point (usually). Hope this helps.

5. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Thanks for your help! I am writing my syllabus now. I student taught in the same community and saw that resource classes were just being used as homework classes.
    I'd really like to move away from this so I am currently creating a schedule for each week to go over actually learning skills...I mean, that's the name of the class! I will talk to my P about this and make sure it will not cause too much controversy. I know in this community a lot of parents push for homework to get done at school because these kids all do a million after school activities.

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 12, 2011

At the school where I student taught, it was expected that something be taught in the resource class rather than doing homework. I like your idea of a schedule. We had kids do additional reading and writing lessons, activities. It's a great idea, Jessica, good luck!