High School MOID/SID/PID

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher1219, Aug 4, 2013.

1. teacher1219

teacher1219 New Member

Aug 4, 2013

I need advice. I need encouragement. I am about to begin my second year of teaching (on Tuesday). Last year, I co-taught in elementary inclusion classes (Kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grade). This year, I've been transferred to a high school MOID/SID/PID class and I am scared to death!!! I'm getting depressed. My degree isn't even in special education; it's in early childhood education. I am kind of thankful that I got certified in special education, because I would not have a job otherwise. But now, I'm learning that once one enters the field of special education, it's nearly impossible to escape. I felt comfortable in elementary school, but now...I feel like I'm in way over my head. This is definitely going to be my hardest year yet, and I'm afraid I'm not going to survive it. Please help!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

Ask for a mentor. Someone who will be teaching something similar to you. Then get to know them right away.

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

Three years ago I went from elementary to high school (severe agressive autism class). I was scared can I do it. I always saw myself as an elementary teacher I had absolutely no desire to teach high school. I needed to clear my credential and I was grateful to have a job even if I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Plus I drove 150 miles round trip to this job.

While I was thrown into the frying pan literally and it was challenging. It has been the best experience I have had. I enjoy high school. I like high school and helping kids transition from high school to what is next.

I wouldn't change it for the world now. I got a job closer to home after 3 years and I am grateful.

Now this year I am going from moderate to severe class autism to a mild to moderate autism class. It will be interesting.

I am open to this experience. . .

As I prepare for my new class I remember to breath. . .and take one day at a time.
    Stephanie

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

What is MOID/SID and PID???

6. teacher1219

teacher1219 New Member

Aug 4, 2013

MOID = Moderate Intellectual Disability
    SID = Severe Intellectual Disability
    PID = Profound Intellectual Disability

7. teacher1219

teacher1219 New Member

Aug 4, 2013

It's too late to get out of it. The principal made that clear to everyone the other day during pre-planning. School starts Tuesday, and this position would be so hard to replace! Plus, until now, I was cool, calm, and collected. I thought I had my emotions and fear under control. Now, I don't know...

8. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

The great thing about this form is you can come here and ask questions.

These kids you will be working with will just like being around you. It sounds very similar to my SH class I had last year. I did have six kids with autism.

I did a lot of functional skills. . .sight words. . .brushing teeth. . .work skills. . .cleaning. . .

there are a lot of activities out there for these kids.

filefolderheaven
    PCI education has a games we played with these kids
    functional skills board games for non-readers

I did the calendar. . .
    working on walking in a group
    picking up trash
    recycling

How many students are you going to have? Are you going to have aides?

These kids are going to love just hanging out with you.

We played bingo.
    We did work task sorting, stuffing envelopes, filing.

I admit the position is not for everyone but if you look at it as a year full of experience you can get a lot out of it.

Stephanie

9. teacher1219

teacher1219 New Member

Aug 4, 2013

I'll have between 5 and 7 students (I think a couple of them might just be there part time due to medical issues) and I'll have two aides.