High School Mathematics, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by suniloneal34, Sep 3, 2009.

1. suniloneal34

suniloneal34 Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

I am currently subbing through a sub staff agency that caters to charter schools. To date, I have subbed three times (1 day assignments). I just got a call asking me if I'd feel comfortable in a high school mathematics class, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 for about a week and a half. I explained I didn't have a math background (did business economics in college) but that I think I could be comfortable doing it. (I want to take the single subject in math). This is somewhat a trial by fire situation since I really know NOTHING about Algebra 1 or Algebra 2 right now and have not really looked at math in quite some time.

They gave my contact information to the office manager at the school to contact me, and the assignment is towards the end of September. I think if given two weeks I should be able to easily learn adequately all the material I would need to teach in the week and a half I am there?

I got off the phone and felt a bit intimidated though...has anyone had any experience doing something like this? Any questions I should ask when I speak to the office manager?

Thanks =)

3. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009

I can't really answer your questions because I am too good in Math and I don't need any review to sub Math classes.

I would like to know though how I can go about findining a a sub staff agency that caters to charter schools. Thanks.

4. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Sep 21, 2009

I began this school year in an Alegebra 1 class. It was supposed to be 5 days and turned into 23. I didn't have too much trouble with it, I basically reviewed the day before what I was going to be teaching the next. I'm not so sure how I would have faired in an Algebra 2 class... as I originally took that online at a JC.

5. azure

azure Companion

Sep 21, 2009

I'm fine with anything in the first year of algebra, but I would feel less comfortable in the 2nd year.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2009

This early in the year, most of Algebra II will simply be more Algebra I.

It's when Trig gets introduced that you'll have to be on your toes.