High School Math/SAT Tutoring Rates?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by wxp49, Jun 11, 2010.

1. wxp49

wxp49 New Member

Jun 11, 2010

First off, I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this question in, but here goes...

I have two parents requesting me to tutor their high school children over the summer, 1 for Algebra help, the other for SAT prep. I need advice on how much to charge per hour, based on specifics.

-I am a currently a rising Junior, college student, majoring in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering.
    -35 ACT, 2200 SAT, National Merit Finalist
    -Have experience tutoring students, as well as working at a Kumon Learning Center before
    -Lives in a white suburban neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio

Student A is going into grade 10, and needs help with Algebra exclusively. Student B is also going into grade 10, but needs help with Honors English and SAT prep. Both will be 1 on 1 tutoring, and both require me to drive around 5-10min to their houses.

If you put up with my wall of text, thank you so much for your help :)

3. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Jun 11, 2010

This is what I've been doing (tutoring high school students to prepare them for ACT/SAT and college students for the GRE).

I didn't know how much to charge at first either. At first I said $50 per hour long session and while several people agreed to it, none of them showed up.

Then I went down to $35 and that is when I got several students. I got even more when I dropped my rate to $25, which is now my base rate.

I live in a relatively poor rural area though.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2010

I'm in NY, with an incredibly high cost of living.

I've taught for most of 3 decades, with about 15 year of SAT prep teaching experience, in addition to tutoring SAT prep.

If I were to tutor, my rate would probably be $80 per hour.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 12, 2010

I live in a rural tmidwest town so I am not sure this will help much . . . but I have paid $25 an hour for our math tutor. I drive my daughter to the location and have paid the same rate regardless of the level of math.

6. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Jun 13, 2010

When I've tutored privately, in metro Phoenix, I've charged $25/hour or $45/2 hour block (I had to commute across town so I probably made the $5 discount back on gas alone, without even thinking about time). The parents were not wealthy but comfortable; the hourly rate was approximately the same as I would have been making based on my salary as a rookie teacher if teaching were a 40 hour a week job.

You might also look at what parents were paying the center for your services when you worked for Kumon, what the center paid you, and split the difference.

Realistically, you're going to have to just write off the 5-10 minute commute or build that into your overhead. That's getting into fiddly little numbers that are way too much bookkeeping for what they're worth.

7. JackChi

JackChi New Member

Jun 15, 2010

I live in a rural area and get $20.00/hr to tutor kids in chemistry and math. My friends who live in affluent NJ suburbs get $70.00/hr to tutor calculus.