High school math--demo lesson?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mathemagician, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Mar 10, 2012

I have some interviews this week. I know a lot of schools do demo lessons if the interview goes well. Do you typically get time to prepare for this, and come back and do it another day? I am just worried they'll whisk me off to do a demo lesson right away as my friend said he had to do that for a demo lesson. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me as I would never, especially just starting out, just walk into class and pull a lesson out of my butt. I like to plan for them. Do you think I should be prepared to do a lesson on the fly, or would they do that typically after the first interview? Also, would they generally give me a topic so I can actually prepare something?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2012

I have never heard of that. I don't think it's particularly likely.

Anyone I've ever heard of who has given a demo lesson was given a topic and a day or two to prepare.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2012

Usually you are given a day or two to prepare and given a topic. Some schools give more information and some less, but I would definitely have questions written down to ask about the lesson before going to an interview...just in case.

Ask about how many students, their background knowledge, their learning styles or current teacher style, how many individuals will be observing, etc.

However, I would be prepared to be whisked into a demo lesson as you just never know what will happen.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Mar 10, 2012

I used to actually include a sample lesson plan in my interview "packet" that I would hand out to interviewers. I think it's a win-win because if they did ask you to do a lesson on the fly (which is highly unlikely), they'd have something to follow along with and something to remember the lesson by, and if they don't, they still have an example of the creative, engaging lessons you'll bring to their students. :)

The times that I've been asked to do a demo lesson, though, I have been told about it during the call to set up an interview, so I've had plenty of time to prepare and practice.