High School Math Classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by RLucas, Jul 25, 2005.

1. RLucas

RLucas Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

What do I need for a high school math classroom? I just got offered the job and am going in on Friday to pick up the text books and possibly see my classroom. I am curious of supplies that I might need so I can start stocking up.

Thanks for the help! :)

3. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 26, 2005

i would buy extra pencils and pens just in case students don't have any
    get a composition book to write down thoughts and notes about the classes you are teachingi would get some binder so you can put the lessons you are teaching in it for future use as well as to put your curriculum guide/pacing guide in a separate binder. I am a new math teacher as well.
    I would also get extra stapler w/staples, rubber bands, post it notes, paper clips, extra folders, extra markers or chalk for the board in case on loses ink. Hope this helps

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Are you in the same classroom all day teaching math? If not you may want to buy a rolling cart if you have to move from room to room... A rolling cart is also good to carry your stuff from the classroom to your car and vise versa.

I would purchase erasers, markers, pencils, notebooks for each math subject you are teaching (Alg. I, Alg. II, Geometry, Pre-Calc). You may want to buy yourself your own TI calculator, if your school does not provide one for you. YOu might want to purchse some maht posters for your classroom.

Hope this is helpful for you. Good luck. I love teaching math to my elementary children.

Good luck and have a great year...

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

Will you teach geometry? If so, check and see what supplies are on hand (plane figures, solid figures, graphing paper, chart sized graph paper or coordinate plane paper, protractors, compasses). How about measurement? If you will do hands on, ask about supplies for that. What do they use for algebra? If you have 9th graders, or lower level classes, will you use a hands-on program to start off the year? They are great for concepts. I like Hands On Equations. I don't know how AlgeLab (not sure of title) is.

6. RLucas

RLucas Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I will know on Friday if I have my own classroom or not but will start stocking up on supplies!