High School Life Skills Work Programs

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by embatis, Oct 3, 2013.

1. embatis

embatis New Member

Oct 3, 2013

Hello all you special educators out there! I am working on a project regarding special education life-skills work programs in high school.

What do you all feel are important skills/things for life-skills students to learn in school and at home during this time to be successful later in life in employment? What do you do in your classrooms to teach these skills to your students?

Thank you for your time! :)

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 3, 2013

We recently sat down and compiled a list of what needed to be covered in life skills for our new curriculum in our system. We broke it down by grade and by category. I don't remember everything right off hand. I sent you a PM. I can look more of it up tomorrow.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2013

I'd love to see that as well if you can! You have my email.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 7, 2013

Hey, WaterfallLady, did you get my email?

6. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Oct 9, 2013

i would love it too!

7. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 13, 2013

I need to see it too but what I've done so far is driver's ed and I got a set of quizlet flash cards for the written MO driver's test and put them in a bucket and when they first come in they are to do a few of the questions.

We've been working on filling out job applications and finding help wanted ads which is hard b/c several of the local sites are blocked on our computers. Later I will conduct mock interviews and when I introduce myself in the interview I'll say "Hi I'm Ms. somebody not my real name" and then ask them what my name is at the end of the interview.

We did a health unit last week and I pulled up some eating right guidelines from the internet and spoke to them about diabetes--more than half my students are overweight or obese and there are many diabetics in our community. I also gave them the website for an exercise video that you can do at home with just your bodyweight for weightlifting.

On Fridays we usually cook something economical and healthy. So far we've made bread, homemade salsa, quesadillas, and granola.

Last week it was study skills and test taking strategies. And now I'm running out of ideas so please share. Most of my kids hover around the IQ70 range and all are boys.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 14, 2013

Have you tried looking up jobs on aggregator sites like indeed.com?

9. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 14, 2013

Yes but we live in a very small town rural area so they're not all that helpful for these kids. To tell the truth, Craigslist would be the best choice but we use the newspaper want ads, which are not all that plentiful b/c folks still have to pay for that service.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 14, 2013

Could you print out a bunch of ads from craigslist (obviously looking for the legitimate jobs) and have them for the students? Or save them on a flash drive and load up the web page