high school life skills lesson plan

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by green78, Oct 12, 2011.

1. green78

green78 Companion

Oct 12, 2011

I have an interview for a high school emotional support class. They want me to bring a lesson plan for a life skills lesson. Does any one of any ideas what I can do?

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Oct 12, 2011

An excellent way to get some ideas on paper is by developing a mind map.

A lot of the time we get in our own way by thinking how "big" an assignment is. A mind map will break the assignment down into very small, manageable chunks.

Here's a great video on how to make a good mind map:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UCXalYcoko

I suggest you start developing some ideas with this technique ... you'll surprise yourself!

4. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Oct 12, 2011

Not sure exactly the type of class, but maybe something on conflict resolution? If it's older high school students, maybe something job related, like how to respond to managers and supervisors.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011

What about job searching and filling in applications?

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2011

Our "Transition" (Emotional Support) class has a behavioral modification system in which they get "paychecks" for their behavior. If you are "tardy to work" (class) you don't get paid the full amount, same as if you make a poor decision, etc.

They have to use their paychecks to pay their rent (they get to select where they want to live based on local classified ads) and buy their groceries (using coupons from the weekly paper), as well as other bills. Basically, an entire budget based on a behavior system of "paychecks."

This is something I always thought was a great idea. Perhaps you could turn this into a single lesson with the potential for more lessons.