High school kids and psoriasis

Discussion in 'High School' started by change, Aug 17, 2015.

1. change

change New Member

Aug 17, 2015

Hi Everyone! Thinking of teaching Business Ed to high school students. I have psoriasis and I am actually nervous to teach, kids and teenagers can be very mean. I am afraid they will make fun of me and I wouldn't know how to respond. Has anyone had this problem? No necessarily with psoriasis. Thank you! :D

3. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

I don't have psoriasis, but I have a place on my neck that I had all last year and finally got checked out this summer. Turns out it's basal cell skin cancer. I also had a place under my nose. The place on my neck is getting treated with Zyclara cream which makes the area really ugly. The kids mentioned the place last year (one asked me if it was a hicky, LOL). It looks ten times worse now and will until the treatment is over. I'm also going to have Mohs surgery on the spot under my nose and another place on my ear (PSA: WEAR SUNSCREEN AND A HAT!). So I'm going to be sporting some bandages in odd places.
    I'm just going to address the area on my neck the first day of school so they know what's going on. I had this same group last year, so we already have a good rapport.

Just go about your job like normal. If a student asks or you overhear remarks, take the opportunity to tell them about it. I find being upfront and honest about stuff like this usually works best. Don't take their curiosity or blunt remarks personally. They're teenagers, many of them still haven't mastered being civilized human beings yet, LOL!

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Aug 18, 2015

This is an excellent opportunity to discuss diversity. High school kids are all about fitting in, being seen as cool and accepted. We all have things that we don't like about ourselves. You have opportunity to teach and show kids dealing with similar issues how to handle and learn to embrace their differences.

If they see you handling and not letting things stop you... They will be more willing to not let their appearance or habits stop them from feeling worthy and capable!! Own it and project confidence

5. change

change New Member

Aug 18, 2015

Great stuff here, thank you for the help! I feel like I accept it, but I think deep down it something I still struggle with.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2015

Out of curiosity, where is your psoriasis?

I have it on my scalp, the corners of my nose, and in my ear. So they really can't see it. I have had kids comment on my 'dandruff' which was actually the result of me itching the psoriasis.

I had a student that was new to our district and his entire face was covered. This was 5th grade. I had a discussion with the class about how they can't catch it, he can't help it, and I talked about my whole family having it. They were understanding. In ways, high schoolers are even more understanding due to their maturity.