High School Interviews

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Chris Render, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Chris Render

Chris Render Rookie

Apr 25, 2018

I am new to education. I have gone on several interviews. Do you usually get an offer at the end of the interview if the principal is interested in you?

I have been told we will let you know one way or another. Then you never hear from them. I have also been told we hope to make a decision at the next board meeting. Is that code for we are not hiring you? What is the deal with education? Just tell me up front at the end of the interview or next day you are not what we are looking for.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. Chris Render

Chris Render Rookie

Apr 25, 2018

I teach Business and I like to focus on teaching Computer classes. In this area, they seem to care more about sports than education. Of course, they will all tell you they care about education but they will hire a horrible teacher just because they are a coach.

5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 25, 2018

Where I live no one is ever offered a job in the interview. There is a process that is followed and typically candidates are contacted within a few days. The timeline is no different for those offered a position and those not offered a position.

6. Chris Render

Chris Render Rookie

Apr 25, 2018

Thank you, it seems to be a lot different than the private sector. Most of the time in the private sector you will get a rejection e-mail fairly quickly or an offer fairly quickly. My experience with interviewing for education seems they don't want to respond to you if they do not want to make an offer.

7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 25, 2018

Welcome to the world of education. Interviewees are rarely informed of the panel's final decision at the end of the interview. There are a number of possible reasons that hiring decisions are not made immediately in public education:
    • Usually, the interview panel submits their recommendations to the personnel director who must conduct background checks, etc.
    • Sometimes districts interview people from outside the district even though they may be planning to fill the position with someone from within (not uncommon).
    • Sometimes the interview process continues only to be scrubbed when they finally decide that there are insufficient funds to hire new teachers (after interviews have been completed).
    • Last minute unforeseen change of plans by current teachers (i.e. not resigning, returning from medical leaves) and creative staffing configurations sometimes nix the hiring of new teachers.
    • All new hires must be formally approved at a board meeting, so depending when it takes place, interviewees may have to wait a few weeks.
    You may have to wait quite a while for a reply and like you discovered sometimes no one bothers to get back to those who aren't selected. Good luck!

8. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 28, 2018

Has anyone experienced the panel not give the candidate an opportunity to ask questions in the end? Isn't this usually a bad sign?

9. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 28, 2018

No I wouldn't consider it a bad sign. Where I work, interviews are on a points system and there is no time allocated (in a timed setting) or opportunity to ask questions.

10. Chris Render

Chris Render Rookie

Apr 28, 2018

I have never had an interview in the private sector or in an education interview that did not allow for questions. Ask yourself would you want to work somewhere that did not allow you to ask questions. Remeber interviews a two-way street. You are also trying to tell if you want to work there. If they won't let you ask a question in an interview. Do you think they are going to care about your input once you work for them?

JimG likes this.
  11. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 28, 2018

I have had that happen once. My thought was they knew they didn't want to hire me, so they didn't want to waste any more minutes on me.

12. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

If you are in doubt of being the chosen one, it is always a good idea to send a thank-you note. First, it sets you apart from other candidates. Secondly, it is a nice gesture. Thirdly, it gets your name in front of their eyes again.

It also doesn’t hurt to follow up with a phone call or e-mail. Being persistent shows that you are interested and the school is a priority for you.

Hope this helps!
    https://thatbizguy.blogspot.com/?m=1