High School English teachers: what are your classes like...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ifightaliens, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

Basically I want any English teacher to let me know how they structure their class. I'm coming to the end of my first year (jeez louise!) and I'm trying to start figuring out what I'm going to do differently next year, so ANY ideas would be appreciated.

TELL ME EVERYTHING.

I.E.

How long does it take to teach a short story/novels? How do you teach them? (i.e. read in class, have them read at home and discuss in class, read one day, discuss the next? HMM????)

Homework... how much do you give/what do you give? How long is a reasonable essay in your class/grade, how much time should they have to do it, how many should they write per quarter?

Do you have separate days for different aspects of English? One day for grammar, one day for vocabulary, one day for literature? Do you fit it all in one day? How do you teach these (and other things)?

Projects: what, when, how many?

Do you show films (of the non literature kind)? For instance, would watching The Shawshank Redemption to discuss characters, settings, foreshadowing, conflict and such work for you (I'm aware it's based off a book, but you get the idea)?

Novels: How many, which ones, why?

Journals: Yes/no? Busywork or a legit test grade?

Tests: what do you put on them, essays, short answer, true false, multiple choice?

Classroom management: what works, how do you deal with wild classrooms (the type that don't listen regardless of all the stuff they taught you in school), what types of rewards do you give? Is a whip and a stool a good plan?

Class games: what do you do, why? Does your principal frown on them? Do YOU frown on them? Do the other teachers frown on them because they weren't clever enough to come up with such an idea?

Basically, if you would be so kind, let me know what you do... I didn't have such a great first year, but am willing to give it at least another go.

I can only give you my everlasting gratitude and maybe a candy bar via mail.

3. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Mar 27, 2009

I'm interested in this information also. I'm not in the classroom yet. I am almost finished reading Readicide by Kelly Gallagher. Very interesting ideas on teaching novels. He really praises In the Middle by Nancie Atwell. Wish I could offer practical, real-world advice. I'm looking forward to what others offer.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2009

Chocolate would be fine! :lol:

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2009

PS - I love Kelly Gallagher and recommend all of his books!

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2009

But if you read closely, you'll see that he does disagree with Atwell on several key points! I just finished the book last night and can't recommend it highly enough. EVERY teacher who teaches reading (and isn't that really all of us) should read this book!

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2009

To the OP:

You may want to check out this site:http://englishcompanion.ning.com/

There are many high school English teachers here talking about their craft. In the "Teaching Texts" group, you can find discussions of particular pieces of text, and if you can't find the ones you teach, you can start a discussion of it yourself.

It was started by Jim Burke, another person whose books you should read if you haven't already.