High School Dress Code

Discussion in 'General Education' started by doubletrouble, May 13, 2010.

1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

May 13, 2010

What do you all think is appropiate? not appropiate?

Had a meeting after school today and I did not realize before this meeting how (touchy) this subject is.

Would love to hear from others.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 13, 2010

INAPPROPRIATE
    Any items...

with references to smoking, alcohol, sex--including Hooters shirts, which I see a lot of.

with rude or vulgar language.

showing skin around the waist/hips area.

showing cleavage, breast or butt.

with holes above the knees.

that could fit another person, as in jeans that are wide enough for the wearer and a friend.

that could cause a scandal if the wearer crossed her legs.

Of course, this isn't a complete list, but it's a start...

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 13, 2010

I believe dress code is important..... :eek::eek:

What is your school's dress code?

5. wisdom

wisdom Rookie

May 14, 2010

I think dress code should protect against the things above, and in general protect against anything that is too distracting, up to admin discretion. I see no problem providing an environment that keeps students focused and less divided or distracted, whether it be dramatic sex, drugs, religion, or whatever.

I'm tired of the politically correct attitudes that seek to allow certain messages and not others - like the incident in California that suspended students for wearing American flag shirts on cinco de Mayo. Ridiculous, while hispanic students were allowed to wear Mexican flags and literally walk out of classrooms to ditch??? What!?

I love the idea of uniforms. I think young ones have way too much to judge or talk nasty about as it is and uniforms let students judge less and study more. Plus it seems more esteemed. Most countries have this across the board, except the US.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2010

Here is the dress code from my daughter's high school:

DRESS CODE Appropriate Dress Policy
    All students have a full-time job to realize their potential at school and to be the best students they can be. Wearing appropriate clothing helps to set the proper tone for a
    respectful workplace and learning environment. Our Dress Code is in effect during the school day and all school events.

Skirts/Dresses/Shorts
    Acceptable: no shorter than fingertip level
    Unacceptable: fitness wear/spandex body suits

Pants
    Acceptable: dress pants/jeans, cotton pants, walking shorts
    Unacceptable: ripped or torn clothing, mini or micro shorts/cutoffs/skirts, spandex/leggings/tights unless covered by
    appropriate clothing, sagging pants that expose undergarments, pants and skirts below hip level

Foot wear
    Acceptable: Shoes or sandals
    Unacceptable: Bare feet

Head—Dress
    Acceptable: headgear for religious or health reasons (and for official ceremonies or school theme activities) only
    Unacceptable: hats, bandanas, hoods, do rags, non-commercially
    manufactured headbands

Blouses/Shirts
    Acceptable: dress shirts, golf shirts with collars, Tshirts and sweatshirts, blouses
    Unacceptable: tops that bare the chest, midriff or shoulders, tank/halter tops which show underwear, muscle shirts, see-through clothing, clothing with vulgar/racist symbols,
    obscene/sexual images, gang/crew clothing or paraphernalia, depictions of weapons, violence or gore, drug/alcohol or drug
    paraphernalia, tobacco products

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2010

Our kids are in uniforms :)

8. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 14, 2010

Kids in uniforms here...
    which I %100 agree with. When a child looks good and is put together, they perform better and feel better about themselves...they actually did a study about dress codes/uniforms and performance and surprise surpirse, kids who were dressed appropriately and nicely were better students.

9. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 14, 2010

Here's one at a high school where I sub a lot

Attire
    Clothing that in any manner, displays profanity, alcohol, tobacco or other drugs including those with inappropriate double entendre will not be permitted.

Attire that features offensive and/or vulgar words, pictures, gestures or drawings that name, advertise or promote sexually related products or activities is not permitted.

Attire that includes words, phrases or pictures that are derogatory to one’s ethnic background, national origin, religious beliefs, gender, sexual orientation or disability is not permitted.

Shirts
    No backless shirts or tops are to be worn.
    Shirts and blouses that expose an inappropriate amount of the chest are not permitted.

Pants/Shorts/Skirts
    No midriff shall be exposed when students are standing with their arms hanging at their sides.

Undergarments are not to be visible at any time.

Skirts and shorts must reach the middle of the thigh OR fingertips must touch the hem of the skirt or short when student is standing.
    Shorts, skirts and pants must cover the entire hipbone.

Other
    Footwear must be worn on campus at all times.
    Attire, articles of clothing or adornments determined by Administration and/or the Police departments that identify affiliation to any organization or group associated with or reputed to be involved in criminal activity is not permitted.

Consequences
    First Offense: Send to Assistant Principal, change clothing and confiscate item.

Second Offense: Send to Assistant Principal for parent/student conference, change clothing, confiscate item.

Third Offense: Suspension

10. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 14, 2010

I frankly would like to see kids in uniforms because it takes away one more thing for kids to spend a lot of time, money to show off, and it "levels" the field for everybody - that everyone will be attired in a similar manner no matter the background. I used to hate them, and they're pretty common at public schools in other countries but I now know a good rationale for them.

11. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

May 14, 2010

The moderators can let you know about what happen to your post. You can contact Upsadaisy and the other moderators through PM.

Hope this helps.

12. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

May 14, 2010

Thank you all for the responses. They have really helped. But,what about any body piercings besides ears? hair color?

Do any of you all have an issue with sagging? If I say pull up your pants once,I bet I say it at least 50 times a day.

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 15, 2010

We haven't had an issue with hair color. We have some students that like to experiment, but we haven't broached the subject. I had a girl this year with cheek piercings, eyebrow, and tongue (and others she told me about - yuck!). It has never been perceived as a problem at our school.
    I hate the sagging. I think they should give them a piece of baling twine and make them pull them up and tie them like Ellie May Clampett.

14. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

May 15, 2010

Love the Ellie May Clampett idea!

15. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 16, 2010

Let's put this flag shirt incident in context. The administration of the school knew that some students would attempt to make Cinco de Mayo an incident or provocation, based on past experience, and issued a notice to students to not wear ANY clothing with ANY flag or national colors on that day. This was done with the intention to maintain order and avoid confrontations, in the interest of ensuring the safety of students.

The students who chose to do that disobeyed that directive from the administration, and it was pretty clear that they were trying to make waves. The students were then asked to either turn their shirts inside out or go home. Well, the students chose to go home and make this a big ado from the press - which fanned the flames.

16. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 16, 2010

Students should be clothed from 2-3 inches below their necks to mid-knee. Shoes should be closed-toe to prevent injuries (and lawsuits). They should wear nothing obscene, hateful, or that endorses drugs or gangs.

I prefer uniforms, though.

17. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 18, 2010

I work in a private, religious school, so piercings, unnatural hair coloring and even long hair would not be tolerated. But I think in public school hair and piercings should be left to the parents. If it's not sexual or promoting drugs/alcohol/gangs etc, the kids should have a bit of a choice...although, you give kids an inch, they take a mile...had a student in public who had a pot leaf shaved in the back of his head....Do parents see this as ok??