High School Classroom Management

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by eliz_14, Sep 20, 2010.

1. eliz_14

eliz_14 New Member

Sep 20, 2010

I am a first year teacher at a high school and I could use some advice. I teach 3 sections of Freshmen English and 3 sections of Senior English. I don't have any classroom management problems with my periods, except for my 6th period English class. Everyday I struggle with this period. They are beyond disrespectful! I try to start class, and this period decides it's OK to continue to talk over me. No matter how many times I ask students to raise their hand, they still continue to yell out answers. I can't have class discussions because they try to run the class. Over the weekend I assigned homework, which was an outline and a rough draft. Today three students came with completed work out of a class of 28. I'd say about half the class are the main trouble makers, but they get the other students to join in though.

I've tried many different classroom management techniques, but nothing has seemed to work. I feel like I should almost treat them like elementary students and do some type of point chart, but I'm not sure how this will work in a high school. I also don't want the students who do want to learn to be punished all the time. Does anyone have any advice they can share? Maybe you have had a similar situation and you used a classroom management technique in your class I haven't thought of. Right now anything is better than what I'm doing!

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 20, 2010

I wouldn't suggest sending students or writing them up, unless its very severe. However, give students one warning, that you will have every single person who opens their mouth in detention after school doing the work which you were unable to complete in class because of the constant talking going on.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2010

Are these freshmen or seniors?

Either way, have you taught your procedures? Even though you often assume that students in high school should know how to enter a class and interact in a classroom, they don't.

I use Randy Sprick's CHAMPs program, but any instructional discipline model will work.

If you continue to talk over them or accept called our answers, they will continue to do so.

5. eliz_14

eliz_14 New Member

Sep 20, 2010

They are my senior class. I've tried to lower my voice to force them to be quiet..it doesn't work. I won't yell over them. Instead, I'll sit there and say I'll wait until you're ready. The problem is that they will just continue to talk.

I haven't written anyone up yet. I am thinking I might need to to make an example of the students. I would love to give them detention after school, but I coach and I have to leave right after school. I also don't think any of them would come. I teach at a rough school. Last year the high school was "graded" an F , which is obviously the lowest.

6. English Guy '09

English Guy '09 Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Is before school detention an option?

7. eliz_14

eliz_14 New Member

Sep 20, 2010

I could try, but I don't anyone would show. They have lunch detention ran by the school and that is it. I think I'll have to resort to that.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2010

TAlk to the other teachers in your school, those who are making a success in the same enviorment. In fact, ask to observe some of the other Senior teachers.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 20, 2010

They have to have English to pass, correct? Put the ball in their court. If they don't want to hear what you have to say, they can work on passing the course their own way. I don't know too many seniors that are willing to get that close to graduation and then intentionally fail a class. I'd make a point of giving the noisy class a couple of the test answers when they were talking - right before the test. Heck, I'd give the quiet class right before them the opportunity. Then when the grades come back I'd make a point of it to the class. See who listened and who didn't?

Also, a fellow teacher did institute a kindergarten points program with her students once. They acted like kinders so they were treated like kinders. I wouldn't feel too bad about the 'good' kids in the class since you said they allow themselves to get pulled into the mess too.

10. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 20, 2010

I had a class once who was very rowdy, didn't care about failing, etc, etc. I DID make up a behavior chart that I filled in, every day. They freaked out, said it was babyish, etc. It worked.

Also, lunch detention or before school detention, and if they don't show, then referral.

Print out grade reports and show them how their behavior is affecting their grades.

If they really won't quit, do something drastic like stop teaching, sit down and just stare at them until they will hear what you have to say. Then be prepared with a quick, but effective lecture on behavior.

They are seniors. They know how to behave. Regardless of the school, if they haven't dropped out or been kicked out, they have potential and they need to use it.

11. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Sep 21, 2010

I have one rougher class too. It's a class that is mandatory to graduate so all students must take it and I have many students in it who have repeated it one or two times because they've failed it in previous years (with other teachers). It's a sophomore class but they range in age from sophomores to seniors because of the fact that it's compulsory. It's only a half credit course so it's only a half semester, at which point they move to another 1/2 credit course so I am hoping to take what worked/didn't work and revamp for the next round. I feel your pain though because it's only October and I feel stressed about this one class sometimes. So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for tips too!

12. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Sep 21, 2010

I had a teacher do this when I was in high school and I've never forgotten it! People were talking and not listening (I wasn't one of them, promise!) so he just abruptly stopped and sat down and started reading a book.

13. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

I love it and I'm doing it! You're a genius!! :thumb:

14. babyraptor

babyraptor Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

When they start acting up and my usual "lets give ______ the attention they crave" failed, I open up my MS Word file for the class and just write down what they're doing, the time but it's on the projector.

Someone usually notices and asks me what I'm doing. When I've taught seniors, I reply "This is what I email home to your parents when they're mad about you not graduating. I also use this for reference when I call your Mom on Saturday and let her know how you've been this week."

Parent phone calls on Friday and Saturday nights are my BEST tool ever. I also call when kids are awesome, but I do that Thursday or Friday, to make sure that their parents know before the weekend starts. :)

Good luck.