High Point

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by cjteacher, Aug 12, 2006.

1. cjteacher

cjteacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Can anyone tell me anything about the High Point Program or where I can find info. on it?

Thanks!

3. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

This program was mentioned to me in an interview. It is a program designed for English Language Learners. I researched it and discovered that it is used at a middle school level in order for teachers to help students who are struggling with their reading skills.

4. jd019

jd019 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

Here in Michigan the county has a progam called high point and it is for children(mostly high schoolers) with severe disabilities. They function in their own school setting.

5. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I actually used it in Student Teaching last year. Used Level B.

It is designed for ELL students

Each section is broken into themes. They have readinga snd the grammar focus for each unit comes out of what the sihgnificant grammarpoints are in the reading

For example, The House On Mangoe Street uses a loyt of metaphors, so the grammar focus was on metaphors.

I liked it a lot, but I would supplement it.

6. kendal9334

kendal9334 New Member

Aug 24, 2006

High Point actually seems to have been designed for students needing reading help, NOT specifically for ELL students. However, it is the text that teachers across California (myself included) are given to use with ELL students. It lacks the vocab and the grammar to be an ideal text for them. One day we will hopefully get books designed for the ELL demographic.