High Maintenance Kids

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Feb 7, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 7, 2010

I know I have it easy this year compared to some issues teachers deal with behaviorally. But my kids are starting to drive me nuts-I feel like they are sooooo high-maintenance. I hear my name about 137 times a day. Miss T look what I made, look I wrote my name, Miss T what are you doing, what are we going to do next. And my all-time favorite, when I'm walking around monitoring their writing and tell someone they are doing a good job-what about me, am I doing a good job, what about me, look what I did. I just want to scream sometimes-I'm looking at everyone's work.

Small group time I wear a cowboy hat so they know it means "whoa"-only bother me if someone is bleeding. All I have to do is point to the hat-so I know they can manage themselves. And I'm probably causing it somehow, but I don't know why all of a sudden they are so needy. Any suggestions on curbing the neediness?

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 7, 2010

I'm starting to tell my class, if you don't raise your had, I'm going to ignore you.

When I walk around during a whole group activity and I start hearing my name being called like a flock of seagulls chirping, I just say something like "Oh, I hear my name, but I'm IGNORING those friends and going to help Student A because HE has his hand up." It usually works pretty well. :)

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 7, 2010

We talk a lot about how "all talkers need listeners and a listener isn't a grown up". "We have been in our room since fall, I need everyone to be remembering that we have friends in our room that they can show things to." "Wait, if you are talking about your blocks and the person next to you is talking about blocks you could......could talk to them". So on. We are having a hard time letting go of the one on one play with a grown up they covet so much at home. I can not be mommy. Pre K is for learing to play with other........so find and "other" and lets learn to play!!

5. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 9, 2010

I feel your pain. I have 6 of those "high maintenance" kids in my Pre-K class this year. They demand attention every minute of the day and can't stand for anyone else to get any attention from myself or the para. They are driving us both crazy. Nothing has worked to stop their whining, fussing, constant interruptions, etc. I feel so bad because the other 14 kids who are well-behaved get no attention from us because of these 6.
    If anyone has some good advice, please tell me - I've tried everything I can think of to help their behavior. The things that usually work for these kinds of behaviors have not fazed this group. What makes it so bad is that there are so many of them in this class.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 10, 2010

Thanks for your responses guys! I wish just ignoring them worked, unfortunately these kids just keep saying over and over until they are acknowledged. I guess I'm glad it's not just me, sorry other people are dealing with it too. I can't help but wonder what I did this year to make them this way-they weren't as high maintenance at the beginning of the year.

7. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

I get that all the time too. My favorite is when things have been relatively quiet for a few minutes, and then, all of a sudden, no less than 3 of them are calling my name at the same time. Either that or the mealtime questions. "Can I have seconds on oranges?" "I'm eating right now, so I will get you some when I finish my plate" 2nd & 3rd child "Can I have oranges?" "Can IIIIIIII have oranges?" We've followed a routine and also expect them to raise their hands for whatever the teacher is holding right then but they still ask the same question repeatedly. A lot of kids.. even when they're acknowledged... it takes them about 5 minutes to spit out the question. Ha ha, I know that stammering is developmental, but if I've said "Yes?" and I'm looking at you, stop saying my name! Ahhh. Ha ha.

8. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

You're right KinderCowgirl, ignoring them doesn't work - not with my group. I'm sorry you're dealing with this too. Sometimes we do things to enable this behavior without realizing it, but in my case they were like this from the beginning. They're actually better now than at the beginning of the year, but still are a pain.