high high expectations! yikes!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by missred4190, Jan 20, 2008.

1. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jan 20, 2008

My question: how many of you new teachers were hired under VERY high expectations? My professors and former principal (I was an aide) gave me "rave reviews" and one told the principal that I was better than so-and-so. Well, so-and-so is apparently the best teacher he has ever met--he mentions this often. He is very supportive and says things like, "I can't wait to get you into my school. I know you will make a big difference here. You are definately going to be one of the best ever." Ect...

That is wonderful and all, and yes, I do think that I will eventually be one of the best teachers. BUT I'm still a first-year teacher, aide and sub experience aside (7 years but it isn't the same)! I know I'm going to make mistakes, get frustrated, probably cry a few times, ect.

Have you any of you had to deal with this kind of pressure? How are you doing it? I don't want to disappoint! Yikes!

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 20, 2008

ME ME ME ME! I got hired at the school where I was a LTS and student teacher last year. My principal from last year changed schools and we have a new principal. He knows my grandmother very well and was my assistant principal for a few years. When we were discussing my evaulation he said "I know how hard your family works, so don't be concerned." I was also given the opprotunity to use a projector with a computer with SmartTools installed, like a faux Smartboard. I want to make sure I'm using it all the time, so if he pops in, I'm taking advantage of this awesome resource!

I know what you mean though! I know that my LTS experience really helped me get comfortable with the school but I still have so many questions and I'm teaching in a new grade level. I would be nice to just be a first year teacher without all these grand expectations!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 20, 2008

I am working at a school where I was a student as a child... so all of the veteran teachers and staff know me. My first year I came in and rocked it. Since then I have had a good reputation, but feel myself sliding every year.

Parents will say things to me about how they want their kid in my class, or how I'm "the teacher to have" but every day I feel like I am failing their expectations. It's not that I am doing that much differently, it's just that now they expect a lot. This year for example, I am hitting every topic later and later. It's mid Jan and I have hardly done any of the math I needed to do. I haven't done a book report, or any major reports or writing projects... it's like, where has the time gone? What have we been doing with ourselves?

5. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

I feel you...

Like you, I'm supposedly awesome. My principal from student teaching went on about how I was like a veteran teacher; my cooperating teacher from then, my mentor teacher this year, and various others all talk me up. And pretty much everyone knows I'm the last teacher to leave every night. But frankly, I don't feel like the person they talk(ed) about at all. I feel like I'm barely hanging on and just trying to survive. I don't feel like I know what I'm doing. I'm trying, to be sure, and I do feel like I can eventually be a good teacher, but right now I just feel like a big ol' fraud.

6. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jan 23, 2008

Well, I have survived day 2. Some students got 6 conduct cuts today, but they are starting to get the hang of new routines, lol. I do have many great changes that will give them more opportunities for hands-on activities and choices--but getting to the stage where they are ready for that responsibility will take a week or so.

Everyone says I am doing great, and I do have a great team. They have bent over backwards to answer my questions and help me out. I feel much more comfortable for now, esp when I can walk my class by the office in a very nice and orderly line, lol! Hey, it helps! :)

I'm trying to do too much--meaning spend every waking hour working on school-related things. I'm fortunate that I do have some experience already (as an aide and regular sub). I can't imagine not having any! I would be begging for mercy right now!

The principal has told me he is seeing me in 5th grade next year--TAKS. This campus has the lowest scores in the district, which is why he has been moved to this campus for 2 years (to clean up, so to speak). I'm sure I'll learn all about pressure then!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 23, 2008

I'm not a teacher but I find this ironic....

My personal life has taken a hit this year. I am burnt out and tired. I find myself giving LESS than what I consider ideal in my job. This especially includes creating new lessons and materials for my centers.

Yet...

This is my year for professional compliments. I have gotten them everywhere this year. I'm secretly glad because it keeps me going and gives me strength when I'm often losing that last bit that I have, but I can't help but wonder where they were last year and what they are seeing this year.

Now talking about obligations, I tried to scale back my job way back at the beginning of this year because I've worked many free hours but the more people see me do, the more I'm expected to continue being awesome. Again, I feel like my output is less than stellar yet apparently it all works out because I'm getting beyond those rave reviews this year. I don't get it.

I also find myself TRYING to increase my output again because of these compliments but I have so much going on personally that it is all I have to give yet I know I shouldn't feel like that but I do.

8. athena_wannabe

athena_wannabe Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

Another "hired with high expectations" teacher here. Last year I subbed for half the year, then took two seperate-yet-both-connected-in-some-way-to-my-current-school temporary contracts.

I really wanted to be at the school I'm at now, and pushed for a placement here when I knew there was an opening. The principal who hired me was new, but when I came in just to talk with her about my interest in working there, she told me she had already heard all about me. Then she went on to tell me that she felt like she didn't even really have to interview me bc she had heard so many fabulous things about my teaching from people who's opinion she really respects. THEN she told me that there were actually two spots available, and asked me which one (grade) I would like! It was crazy!

Anyways, at the beginning of the year I was very worried about not living up to expectations. Even now I still kindof feel that way. I keep hearing that I'm doing great, but I wonder sometimes if its because a lot of what I've been doing with the students has been high interest/publicity things (if that makes sense): ie. "adopting" a soldier based overseas and hosting a bake sale to raise funds to send her a carepackage; teaching my kids not-typical-for-their-age art projects and hanging them in the halls etc. THESE are always the things people talk to me about, and I even have veteran teachers in the school coming to me for ideas. But then I worry that its going to come to next year, when half my kids switch to another teacher, and they're going to "discover" that I didn't teach them something important (I don't know what, but thats my big worry -- am I teaching the kids what I'm supposed to be?).

I totally feel like a fraud sometimes, and worry that one day they're going to find out I'm not really what they've been thinking I am. But then I wonder ... maybe all great teachers felt like this at the beginning of their career? (not to say that I'm a GREAT teacher, I'm just postulating here!). I feel that I have the potential to be an excellent teacher in my own right, but what with being so inexperienced and just basically going into projects with a hope and a prayer ... I don't know.

I HOPE I'm living up to expectations. But what if I'm not?

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 27, 2008

athena wannabe, I always get a great number of compliments also. I have always wondered if it was a special ed. thing and if it is because some people have such low expectations for my students or if they think that everything I do is great because they feel like they could never teach a special ed. class. I actually had people compliment me on how well my students wiped their lunch table and swept up the floor after they ate lunch...because that is what they will probably end up doing when they are an adult :mad:.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 27, 2008

I might get to be one of the few lucky contract people to be rehired next year because of my amazing work for a program they are trying to implement to attract new parents. How's that for high expectations. Keep me so they can recruit new parents. Yikes.

In fact that's the only thing that might help keep my job. It won't be up to my boss either really. It'll be reputation and higher up people I never met. Again, YIKES! It's a compliment but it's one with a price tag too.

Athena, I know what you mean by fraud. I know I do a good job but it varies with what I'm doing a good job for. Most of the time I feel like I'm doing what everyone else is doing so what's the big fuss? Plus I feel like the ONLY reason I look like I'm doing a good job in the program they want to implement is because I am DOING something. I certainly don't concentrate on it every step of the way.