High Heels

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by orangetea, Mar 12, 2012.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2012

Does anyone wear high heels when teaching?
    I tried it for one day, and my feet hurt so much at the end. I'm standing all day, so I just can't deal with them them. I wish I could because I'm only 5'1, but I need to stick with flats and boots. The only time I wear heels is when I go out.
    However, I see many of my co-workers wear heels to work all the time! Are there any secrets to wearing heels? I love the way they look.

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 12, 2012

pre-baby yes wore them all the time to work but now I stick with a flat, much more comfy. no reason to kill my feet!

4. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 12, 2012

No way! Heels are something that you can get used to and be comfortable in if you buy decent quality and wear them regularly. I think that's the only secret. I wouldn't do it though, because daily wear of high heels can lead to permanent damage of the calf muscles and other parts of the feet. I'm on my feet all day at work, so it's just too much strain. I save heels for special occasions and wear cute flats to work.

Here's a relevant article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...scle-damage-change-walk-even-after-taken-off/

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2012

I wear inch to inch and a half heels most days. I'm not comfortable in flats.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2012

Absolutely not...never.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2012

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 12, 2012

Most of the time yes. I try to stick to a wedge heel. I find they're more comfortable than others.

9. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2012

I actually have these boots that I bought a few months ago with a built-in invisible 3 inch wedge heel, and they're extremely comfortable!

10. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Mar 12, 2012

Nah. I'm too tall to wear heels on a daily basis.It would be way awkward.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2012

czacza~I would LOVE to go shoe shopping with you one time. You have the best taste!

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 12, 2012

I don't spend a lot of money on clothes, jewelry, etc., but I will invest in a good pair of shoes, including pumps and heels. There are some great brands out there that are fashionable and comfortable, like Sofft (my favorite), Clarks, and Naturalizers. It's well worth the money to me.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 12, 2012

I wear heels a lot in spring and summer. I find lots of cute heels for warm weather, but not so much for winter.

Last week I wore 3" platform heels. They were very comfy. I don't buy cheap heels. I buy expensive heels on sale. I have wide feet and high arches. Hard to find good shoes of any kind.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 12, 2012

I don't wear them to work either. I have no idea how people do it- why would you kill your feet to make a fashion statement at school of all places? I honestly don't even wear them out very much either because if my feet are killing me I'm not having a good time. I always wondered if other people actually found them to be comfortable and it was just me or something, haha. I will wear wedge heels occasionally for social things- still not to work though, and not when I'm going to be walking a lot. I bought these really cute cowgirl boots for a halloween costume a couple of years ago- probably about 1 1/2 inch heels and they weren't the spiky kind either- went out for about four hours and my feet were KILLING me by the end of the night. I thought I was going to die on the four block walk home- I just don't get it! My whole night was a lot less fun because of it. I do think they're very cute but I'm not going to purposefully wear something that hurts!

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2012

waterfall, I tend to think people who swear they are "comfortable" either 1) have forgotten what true comfort is, or 2) are not being honest. But I could be wrong. :p

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 13, 2012

In my position, I'm not on my feet much at all. I'm sitting down working w/ small groups of kids. I do love wedges & ever since I pretty seriously injured my ankle a few yrs ago, 3 inches is the highest I'll go, but definitely not everyday.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2012

Or they've simply found comfortable heels. I have 2 pair that are like wearing slippers; I've worn them a LOT this winter. The ones I wore yesterday were made by Easy Spirit.

I've haven't suffered memory loss, nor do I lie. I've simply had good luck shoe shopping.

I've never been a fan of the line of thought that "either you agree with me, you're lying or you're stupid" or of the slight variation presented here. I think it's increcibly presumptuous at best, and incredibly insulting at worst. But I could be wrong.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2012

No heels for me. I would go barefoot every day if it were allowed! I guess that's the mountain folk, country gal in me. Grew up in a Walton's Mountain type place and we didn't wear shoes to school when I was young.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 13, 2012

If you wear heels a lot, your feet become used to them. I have some great heels that I'm just as comfortable in as my tennis shoes!

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 13, 2012

This was me (my family is from WV originally and I always said barefoot was in my blood) but as I got older I developed plantar fasciitis and my doctor said it was in large part caused by going barefoot or wearing flip flop type shoes too much. Once I started wearing supportive foot wear, those problems went away!

21. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Mar 13, 2012

My feet give me many problems. I found a pair of shoes with a slight wedge heel for work at the beginning of this year and haven't looked back since... heels hurt too much!

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 13, 2012

The Sofft heels I have are more comfortable than my New Balance tennis shoes, I kid you not. When you SEE the shoes, you'd not think that was the case. However, it's really true. I don't now why exactly, but the heels are way more comfy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2012

I AM KIDDING. WOW.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2012

Yeah...me too.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2012

Well, this is just ridiculous...but okay.

Sorry you all...back to heels!

26. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Mar 13, 2012

Agreed. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Justme, I find heels really uncomfortable too, especially for every day. I see women at the university I'm attending walking around in stilettos- It's crazy.

I just don't know how they do it. Hats off to them!

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2012

I'm not unfamiliar with comfort. I'm not a slave to fashion...I work looong hours (2-3 hours of tutoring every day after school) so uncomfortable shoes won't work, but the great looking shoes I wear don't cause me issues...though they might to a heel novice.:D?..and I've never been accused of being dishonest...all kidding aside.:)

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2012

Come on, people. I was kidding. I mistakenly, obviously, thought the "I could be wrong" line followed by the silly face indicated I was being light-hearted. I find the level to which people have taken offense and responded accordingly is absurd. As though I'm really calling you heel-wearing ladies liars. Really?

The overall absence of this sort of absolute overreaction is what makes A to Z great and different from other forums...

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2012

The smiley face could mean lots of things...sorry for any misinterpretation.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2012

A little credit, please.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2012

Credit is a two way street...

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2012

This is insane. Please stop. I am done for the evening.

33. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 13, 2012

Really?! Wow! That's awesome! I will have to try some on :) do you know where they sell the soffit brand? I have never heard about them until they were mentioned on this board :)

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 13, 2012

I got the black ones pictured earlier at Marshall's, and I got the ones pictured below from T.J. Maxx. They're usually $105-110 regular price, but I generally pay around $39.00 for them since I find them at Marshall's and TJ Maxx.

[​IMG]

I wanted to buy the ones below last weekend, but they weren't comfortable. The toe strap was "breaking" across the joint of my big toes, so those didn't work for me. Too bad because I thought they were really cute.

[​IMG]

35. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 13, 2012

I have always worn heels to work! I LOVE them! I'm almost in my seventh month of pregnancy and I still wear them!

I honestly feel like they are more comfortable than flats and easier to walk in, but as my parents say, I was born in heels! I used to wear black patent leather shoes that had a very low heel with sweatpants when I was three because I liked the way they clicked on the floor when I walked! :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  36. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 13, 2012

Side note: I LOVE the sound of heels still to this day! It drives some of my kids nuts though and does make it hard to sneak up on them when they're doing something they shouldn't :lol:

37. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 13, 2012

flat shoes (unless they're tennis shoes) are not comfortable for me, I need at least a little heel. Usually I wear sandals / heels with around 1" heels, such as 'kitten heels', etc. I noticed that it's not the heel's height, but it's thickness that makes it comfortable / uncomfortable. I have a few boots / dressy shoes I have been wearing since November, they're high, but thick, so they're the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn.

The other teachers didn't like it though, because besides the principal I'm pretty much the only teacher / sub who dresses nicer, and wears dressy shoes. So when they heard me walking across the corner, they always thought the principal was coming :) That was funny! :)

38. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 13, 2012

They are very cute Ima! I'll have to look for them :)

39. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 13, 2012

Post broken ankle, I can only wear shoes with a very stable base so my heels are not higher than two inches.