High Class Size Interview Q

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ahodge79, May 16, 2014.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

May 16, 2014

I'm getting interviews (wow, in CA OC!) and there are really high class sizes (something in the range of 32 in primary grades). So I was asked today "How would you handle a large class size?" I have lots of classroom experience, but not with that many kids.

What are some management strategies related to working with a lot of kids but still keeping it individualized?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 17, 2014

Interviews in OC?! Wow! That is honestly shocking to me. I have many friends who are having trouble in that exact area.

Yes, OC has crazy class sizes. Even worse than LA, which has always been interesting to me.

I don't have a crazy class size now, but I student taught with them (32 in second, 34 in sixth). The way you handle a class size like that is really the way you handle a class well, I think - attention to management. Routines, procedures, etc need to be solidified. Give the kids jobs so they have some ownership of the classroom and things run more smoothly. I've found table groups (that change every 5 or 6 weeks or so) work well with large classes - both because they just fit better in the classroom and because they help the kids connect with one another and learn together in such a big class. It really is procedures, procedures, procedures. Organization is big, too.

Centers are totally possible with big classes, but the groups might have to be bigger and they may need to be managed a bit differently. You may not be meeting with every group every day; you likely won't. I think differentiation is KEY in a big class, so centers are very, very important.

Those are some thoughts off the top of my head.

4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

May 17, 2014

Yes, OC! And I had another today- yes a Saturday. The first district told me they are expecting at least 80 positions to fill. The one today must have a lot too because they had four rooms going for interviews about one in each room every 15 minutes. I've applied for a dozen jobs when there has been nothing for the last five years.

Anyways thanks for your thoughts about classroom management.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 18, 2014

That's truly amazing! OC has been such a miserable market for so long. Good luck to you!