High Blood Sugar

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Blue, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 5, 2011

For some reason my BS has been high this past week. I am very casual about taking it, and usually check it near bedtime. But, I had an infection, and the doctor told me to keep track for 10 days. OMG, I have been in ketosis twice, and tonight it was 200 before dinner.

Any other diabetics have any advice? Can sulfa medication raise BS? How about stress?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Mar 6, 2011

DH is diabetic and when he isn't feeling well his blood sugar is all over the place. We spent two very difficult nights last week dealing with plunging low blood sugar...so much that I was awake most of the night so that when he woke up very, very low I was there to make sure he had juice and peanut butter to bring things up enough for him to be coherent.

So, yes, illness and stress has a great deal to do with his highs and lows. We've not dealt with ketosis, but any changes like medication, etc., have to be watched closely.

I hope you're feeling better soon and things stabilize.

4. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Mar 6, 2011

Are you type 1 or 2?

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 6, 2011

Type 2. I have gotten it down below 200. I can generally get it down with excercise, so will work on that. I will call the doctor on Monday.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 6, 2011

Mine varies wildly these days and I don't know why. The doctor said stress can do it. I've changed insulin types and it is a little better. Many meds can affect it, but I think it all depends on the person. How many times a day do you test? I can test at 72 in the morning then be up to 300 by dinner. It's frustrating.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 6, 2011

I hear you ups, I test high in the morning and before dinner I am at 40. I have been very stressed this month. It is frustrating.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 6, 2011

Yeah and my insurance is not paying almost anything at all toward the insulin so I'm paying out of pocket. For that amount of money, it should work, dammit!

I've woken up at 5am shaking 'cause my level is too low. I keep a piece of hard candy next to the bed.

Do you use the regular insulin or the combination short/long?

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2011

Stress can really mess with levels, as can illness. I know some medications can cause issues, too. I don't have diabetes, but my blood sugar ran high when I was taking prednisone. Once I stopped taking it, it went back to normal.

My MIL has some major anxiety issues, and it keeps her blood sugar high all the time. (That and that she won't eat like she should.)

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 7, 2011

I am on Glipizide (pills) and am worried that I will need shots. I have gained some weight, so I will try to lose 10 pounds and see if that helps.

My BS was 130 tonight, so much better.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2011

Is Glipizide like metformin? I know metformin is the generic. I take it in addition to insulin. I had gone for a few years on different oral medications like Avandia and others, and done well. Then, suddenly, they weren't working right and I couldn't get to a stable place, so had to switch to insulin. It is an inconvenience and sort of taking over my thoughts. But, if I could lose weight, that would certainly help. Hope you do well.

Mine was 113 this morning, which is just fine. We'll see later what happens.

12. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Mar 8, 2011

When you are sick or have any infection you need to moniter your blood sugar levels closely. Illness can have a huge effect on your blood sugar levels, especially if you are on an antibiotic. Stress of course does as well. Get well.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I know antibiotics can play havoc with blood sugar. I was on a HEAVY duty antibiotic (for a bone infection) and my blood sugar went really high. Once I was done with the course, it went back down, but since my Dr. prescribed the antibiotic, she was aware of the rise in my blood sugar. And stress does affect my sugar a lot.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 8, 2011

Thanks. I am done with the antibiotic and my BS has come down to my "normal" levels.