Hi!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by covemommy, Jul 10, 2007.

1. covemommy

covemommy New Member

Jul 10, 2007

Hi. This is my first time here on this forum. I am so glad I found it.

I am starting a new teaching job in the fall. I have taught 4th and
    1st but will now be teaching an itinerant position that I was told would be a "pull-out" program for at-risk students who need help passing the TAKS test ...I am in Texas. However, I am only finding information about Itinerant teachers who work with kids who are blind or deaf.

Does anyone have an Itinerant teacher in their school? What do they do exactly? I know I will stay at one school...there will be no traveling. The campus I will be at is a "Mega-Campus" which basically goes pre-k through 5th grade. It is where they have combined an intermediate school and elementary school whose campuses when apart, were connected by a sharing cafeteria. I don't know if any other school districts in Texas have these.

Thanks for any help or words of wisdom you can give!

3. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

I taught at a school that was built like this, but it was a middle school and high school that shared a cafeteria.

So, will you really be pulling kids out of their regular classrooms, or will they come to you for an entire period of TAKS remediation? The latter is how we do it. Of course, I'm at a middle school (6-8) campus.
    To actually answer your original question...we do not have an itinerant teacher on our campus. We have "Reading Improvement" for the kids who failed the TAKS reading test, and "Math Enrichment" for the kids who failed the TAKS math test. The kids have to give up an elective and take these classes if they fail those portions of the test.

4. covemommy

covemommy New Member

Jul 10, 2007

Ya know, I am not sure exactly. The way this happened is that I interviewed for a position at a school here and the position had already been filled but she did the interview in case she had anything come up. Well, after the interview she knew that I was considering other positions, she really wanted me to work at her school, and I REALLY wanted to be there so instead of having At-Risk tutors part time she asked the administration to let her have an Itinerant teacher and that is how it came to be. So this is new at their school...not sure how they will do it, but I like the idea of having class period rather than pulling out, but I think it will be pulling out in groups due to the fact it will be mostly 3rd-5th grade students.