Hi Need advice in CBEST writing

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by anut, Feb 9, 2007.

1. anut

anut Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

Hi,

I'm new. I take the CBEST tomorrow. I came across this forum looking for some info. Thanks for the info on interpreting standard score question in math. I am using Barron's CBEST guide (2001) and was not aware of this at all. I am sure to flunk the writing part. Any advice from anyone ?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

First, stop telling yourself you're sure to flunk: that tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you could write cut-and-dried five-paragraph essays in high school, you can write CBEST essays. Download this document, http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/PDFs/CA_OPT_Writing.pdf, to see what's being looked for: you'll find, I think, that the higher-scoring samples here are not as long as those offered up in the prep books.

The object is to show that you can write serviceable prose on set topics, typically one persuasive and one personal narrative. I'm guessing that you probably passed some kind of writing test for college entrance: that's the sort of writing that's looked for here.

4. anut

anut Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

TeacherGroupie, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been thinking of taking the CBEST for almost a year and then 3 weeks ago decided enough was enough. So I signed up for Feb 10th. Have practiced the math and reading but do not know how to practice writing. Wish I had known about the other books before. Anyways, thanks again. Will keep a positive outlook. My only fear is I will blank out on the essays. Plus my son just came back from school with a fever !!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

The worst that happens is that you have to retake that part - and, believe me, there are definitely worse fates.